87 Taurus 2.5L no spark condition

Old 08-07-06, 10:22 PM

The car was not running when I got it. I did a complete engine overhaul and added a new distributor and stater, new ignition module, coil, wires and plugs. The car turns over great but there is no spark to plugs. With key on I am getting the right voltages and continuity readings. When tested with the Ford suggested home made ignition test jumper (condeser & switch) There was spark which suggest that the primary circuit wiring and coil are ok. The rotor turns when the engine is cranked, but there is no spark to any of the plugs or from the secondary coil wire. I don't have access to a Ford Breakout Box (don't even know what it is) for a pinpoint test. I'm lost at this point and don't know where to go next. is the TFI IV ignition ECU controlled on start up. If this the case could this be the problem?

I have very limited funds so I would be very thankfull for any advice or suggestion you can offer.

Thank you so much for your time,
PACO3119

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-06, 03:54 AM
do you have power going to the module?
if you disconnect the spout connector which you would normally do to set timing do you have spark with the spout disconnected?
a breakout box has pins for testing the computer and wiring harness it allows you to easily test each pin voltages or signals with a meter or lab scope.

Old 08-09-06, 10:04 AM

bejay, thanks for helping!!! You cannot believe how much I appreciate your help!!! You are trully a life-saver!!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you! I don't have any previous experience with the TFI IV system and I have really hit rock bottom.

Yes, there is 11v to 12V on terminals #2,#3 & #4 or the ignition module connector terminals The is also strong spark to all clyinders with the SPOUT disconected. I did not try to start the car, just checked the spark. I assume it won't run with the spout disconnected. I s this correct? What's next?

I finally figured out what a breakout box is.
Can you do in pin test by inserting a in into the ECA terminal and using an analog VOM?

Also, will the ECA set hard Codes when the new engine engine has never started??

The car had been in storage for 14 years before the rebuild, so should I clear the ECA memory now?

Old 08-09-06, 12:57 PM
the car will run with the spout disconnected however it will not have any timing advance suspect that the eca is bad but need to check the powers and grounds at the eca you can usually get by without a breakout box by backprobing the eca connector suggest you find a wiring diagram for the vehicle to help test it.
sometimes they will set codes but very rarely older fords with a no start problem usually dont have any codes stored or atleast none stored that are related to the no start condition.

Old 08-10-06, 06:37 AM

Thanks, bejay! I'll checked the wiring to the ECA and let you know if I find any problems. Would a short to ground in the spout to eca wire kill the spark signal?

I really appreciate your help!!
I have 5 manuals on this 87 ( Haynes, Chilton and 3 Ford manuals on the TFI System. and it's been to 3 shops without a clue) none of them sugguest removing the sprout. All the said was that the spark signal is powered by the TFI IV anf the ECA. That caused me to belive that no spark could be generated if the spout was disconnected.

There is no better teacher than a man with the experience! Bejay, YOU THE THE MAN!! Thanks again!!!

Old 08-10-06, 01:00 PM
believe that a shorted spout wiring would cause a no spark but not real sure.
if you have the manuals and you do a no start flow chart it should lead you to the problem while it may tell you to install a breakout box and perform some test either with the eca connected or disconnected or both the pins they are testing is the same number on the eca 60 pin connector as what they would be on the breakout box.