No engine power

Old 08-08-06, 04:50 AM
No engine power

HAve a 3.8 litre engine in a town and country. Engine has 60K miles on it. vehicle drives normal until the A/C is put on then the engine lacks power. Very noticeable and gas mileage is also poor. Dealer supposedly checked most common stuff out ( fuel sytem, timing etc.) they narrowed it to a plugged catalytic converter which they replaced but didn't work. Then they narrowed it to a stretched timing chain which they replaced but that didn't help. Now they are sending the vehicle to a transmission shop. Any thoughts what this could be. Tranny seemed to shift fine. Good thing this is a all under warranty. They have had it for two and a half weeks already

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-06, 05:41 AM
jeez if there is a huge difference when the AC is on I hope they checked the refrigerant system pressures to see if the compressor might be bad??

Old 08-08-06, 05:47 AM
Ah ha...I remember this one. I knew that timing chain was a wild guess that wouldn't help lol. Well at least they aren't guessing with your money...just your time and convenience.

You say it only does it when the AC comes on? If that's the case I would say it has to be related to the AC system. Maybe the compressor is lugging down the engine too much - as in it's about to lock up? I wonder if they've tried driving it with the AC on (inside at the controls) and the AC belt off. If it drives normal after that it has to be the compressor. If it still does it then it's probably electrically related to the AC.

I would also check alternator/battery especially while the engine was running with the AC on. A lot of cars these days will act funny with low battery voltage. Maybe the AC being on is exceeding the alternator's output and the battery voltage is dropping too low while driving.

Just some guesses...hope they get if figured out for you. Definitely post back with whatever happens...my curiosity is killing me now.

Old 08-08-06, 07:28 AM
I'll keep you posted. The only time i noticed it sluggish with the a/c off, is when you drive up hills. There were times when the engine rpm's would keep increasing up the hill ( to almost 4000 rpm) and you would actually have to let off the gas in order for the tranny to shift and drop the engine rpm's to a couple thousand.

Old 08-08-06, 09:55 AM
Well , thanks to all, just got the word from the dealer that they will be buying the vehicle back and getting us another. They have concluded that it is an internal engine failure. Something with the cylinders due to overheating and as more aux. equip. is turned on it drags engine performance way down. Not bad for two weeks worth of troubleshooting and changing parts. Glad I didn't have to pay. Thanks again.