Service Engine Light

Old 08-08-06, 06:30 AM
Service Engine Light

My service engine soon light came on yesterday in my '02 F-150 (4.6 engine). Is this just a mileage generated alert to change oil, or is there more to it? If it is an oil change reminder, how do I reset the light? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-06, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the quick response.

Old 08-08-06, 06:49 AM
Better to stop at an auto parts store and let them pull the code real quick for free. The check engine light always means the vehicle's computer has detected a problem...how serious you won't know until you have the code pulled.

Old 08-08-06, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by thiggy
My service engine soon light came on yesterday in my '02 F-150 (4.6 engine). Is this just a mileage generated alert to change oil, or is there more to it? If it is an oil change reminder, how do I reset the light? Thanks
There are literally hundreds of reasons the computer would set the light. Depending on if it's a 'hard' set, or a 'soft' set. A hard set doesn't go away and comes back as soon as you start the car again. A soft set doesn't appear until you've driven it to operating temp (or thereafter).

You can clear a soft set by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. If the condition still exists, it will set the light again. Only way to clear a hard set is to have the machine reader reset it.

Most cars have a rudimentary way to read the code, either by using a key on/off sequence or shorting the correct two terminals on the computer interface connector. You'll need some sort of service manual to tell you which is which.

As mentioned, most auto parts places will do a basic code read for free.

Old 08-08-06, 11:12 PM
on most cars and trucks with computers, theres a way of seeing which part is malfunctioning on your car by turning the ignition on and off quite a few times, this will flash the check engine light a few times, get a manual for your truck and see if it tells you how to do this, which it probably will, i did this on my dads 1997 plymouth grand voyager when the check engine light went on, it was one of the oxygen sensors, also see if the light go's off and stays off, it could be as little as a slight misfire that put it on or a loose gas cap, you can disconnect your battery for 15 minutes to reset it

Last edited by aftershock135; 08-08-06 at 11:27 PM.