tuneup

Old 08-08-06, 11:48 AM
tuneup

I have 110,000 miles on my '00 ranger/4cyl eng. I have been experiencing a sluggish performance, so i have changed the plugs, and saw a great improvement. Still ..there is a noticable miss at neutral acceleration. I guess what i need to know is: what else do i need to do as far as a tune up. hope i not to vague...thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-06, 11:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
With 110K miles, I would replace the spark plug wires, PCV valve, gas filter, and clean up the carb / injection system. I assume it gets regular fluid changes and oil and air filter replacements.

Old 08-09-06, 10:43 AM
tune up

Yes, I change the oil and air/filter, regularly..i bought used 2yrs ago, and records indicate prev owner did same. By clean up fuel system, would a injector cleaner be sufficient?

Old 08-09-06, 12:07 PM
Just out of curiousity, does the 00' ranger's still have 8 spark plugs? My wife had a 96' and it had 8, that sucked. The first time I changed the plugs (when we first got married) I didn't have the right universal socket, and it took 3 hours to change the plugs. I was irate.

Old 08-09-06, 04:54 PM
If you still have a dead miss at idle...the problem probably lies with one of the spark plugs wires. Definitely time to change them anyway.

You'll get a lot of opinions on this one...but I would recommend a brand called Lucas for your fuel injector cleaning. It's an additive that you put in the tank with the gas. You can vary the dilution for heavier duty cleaning.

I would also suggest that you remove the air intake tube at the throttle body and clean the throttle body and plate with carb cleaner. Make sure you actuate the throttle plate so you can clean behind it and clean the back side of the plate.

Old 08-10-06, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by mrbkeller
Just out of curiousity, does the 00' ranger's still have 8 spark plugs? My wife had a 96' and it had 8, that sucked. The first time I changed the plugs (when we first got married) I didn't have the right universal socket, and it took 3 hours to change the plugs. I was irate.
Yep! luckly I have a son-in-law that loves that kind o stuff..and he's good at it too.

Old 08-10-06, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by davzack
If you still have a dead miss at idle...the problem probably lies with one of the spark plugs wires. Definitely time to change them anyway.

You'll get a lot of opinions on this one...but I would recommend a brand called Lucas for your fuel injector cleaning. It's an additive that you put in the tank with the gas. You can vary the dilution for heavier duty cleaning.

I would also suggest that you remove the air intake tube at the throttle body and clean the throttle body and plate with carb cleaner. Make sure you actuate the throttle plate so you can clean behind it and clean the back side of the plate.
Davzack, Thanks..looks as though I have a full saturday in store. the carb cleaning..do you just spray the cleaner...do i have to scrub or anything...hate to sound so dumb...but...
thanks!!

Old 08-10-06, 09:22 PM
No, good question actually. I use a plastic bristled brush for tough deposits but in most cases, the force of the carb cleaner is sufficient (especially if you attach the little straw that comes taped to the carb cleaner can). An old tooth brush would suffice...or your spouse's if they've done anything lately to tick you off.

Old 08-11-06, 06:08 PM
tuneup

davzack,
thanks, you've answered all my questions, without making me feel....amaturish.....now...where is my wife's toothbrush. oops! i need to remember rule #3...