Radiator fan working?

Old 08-08-06, 06:31 PM
Radiator fan working?

I have an 86 Corolla. What is the best way to check if the radiator fans are working? I don't remember ever seeing them run. The temp gauge wiggles about the 9 o'clock position. No over-heating problems. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-06, 08:30 PM
Can't say for sure about your particular car, but normally they cycle on and off as the engine heats and cools. Just open the hood when the engine is warmed up and within minutes you should see it kick on then off again. Also, try turning on the AC and it should turn on.

Old 08-08-06, 09:14 PM
So if the AC is running, the radiator fans should also be running? I will check it out.

Old 08-09-06, 04:52 AM
Group Moderator
That varies from car to car, but generally the fans will kick on in response to either coolant temp or when ac is turned on, the theory being, I suppose, that it's a given that the temp will go up when the ac kicks in. I used to have an '86 Corolla, but don't remember how it's configured to operate.

Old 08-09-06, 05:28 PM
The temperature has to be 194 degrees F before the fan will come on. As long as the temperature is below that level, the fan will not come on. The other fan is the condensor fan and it should come on anytime the AC is commanded on.

Old 08-13-06, 03:20 PM
The fans are working. Both fans came on when I turned the AC on. Yesterday, I let the car idle with the AC off while I unloaded the car and I heard the fan(s) come on. Did not look to see if it was one or both that came on. Thanks for the replies!