Steering Column Problem

Old 08-09-06, 01:09 PM
Steering Column Problem

My father drives a 1991 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale. He ran up on a curb. I was with him when he did it. He did not seem to hurt the car. He was not going fast and be backed off the curb very gently. I drove the car later on and I noticed that there was a visible shimmy coming up through the steering column when you drove at 50 miles per hour or above or when you drove over a bumpy road.Also, when you are moving and you make a left turn you hear a squeaking that sounds like it is coming from the front end until you come out of the turn.Do you think that it is just a coincidence that these problems occurred now or is this a result of my father running up on the curb?Also, he had a break job done about 8 months ago, front and back. I notice that you hear a squishing noise when you depress the brake pedal. What could cause this? Since this car is almost 16 years old, I'm trying to decide whether or not to repair it. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks,

Debby

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-06, 01:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need to have a mechanic or knowledgeable person examine at the car. The shimmy could be as minor as a wheel weight knocked off or the tire, rim or a steering componet may have been damaged.

A noise when turning one direction usually indicates an axle problem.

It shouldn't cost much, if anything for a mechanic to check it out. You need to know whats wrong before you can make an informed decision on whether to repair or replace.

Old 08-09-06, 02:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Definitely get the front end checked out. Could be as simple as a weight, but could also have knocked out the alignment.

Old 08-09-06, 02:36 PM
Steering Column Problem

Thank you both for your reply. I will take it to a shop and have them check out the front end.

Debby