94 Olds 88 idle problem

Old 08-10-06, 08:57 AM
94 Olds 88 idle problem

Hi There,
My car idles a little to high , How can I adjust it . Its on a 94 Olds 88 . Thank you for whatever help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-06, 12:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Im confused.Is the car a 94 or 88. My guess would be the computer.Take it to autozone have them pull the codes.Its free.

Old 08-10-06, 02:06 PM
Its a 94 olds -- 88 --3.8 liter engine

Originally Posted by lexmarks567
Im confused.Is the car a 94 or 88. My guess would be the computer.Take it to autozone have them pull the codes.Its free.
When I take it to autozone and they find the code what happens next?

Old 08-10-06, 04:45 PM
Next step..

Don't let Autozone sell you a part right there in the parking lot.. have then give you the code(s) and brief definition, and post 'em here..Lots of good techs in here can give you a direction to go..
Seen a guy drop over 800.00 and loose an entire weekend on electronic parts that he couldn't return, cause he bought the parts the codes related to..
By the way, does your engine have a plastic plenum, or metal?

Old 08-10-06, 06:25 PM
There are quite a few things that can cause a high idle. The first thing I would look for is a vaccuum leak. Get a can of carb cleaner and spray it different places around the engine, especially around that upper intake manifold (plenum) gasket. Check the intake air hose that goes from the air filter box to the throttle body for cracks. Before you go replacing electrical parts try to eliminate the more obvious things. I agree with msargent, get the code readings from autozone (if there are any) and bring them back to post them....DO NOT let the parts guys sell you a part!

Old 08-10-06, 09:02 PM
Most auto parts stores can only pull codes on newer vehicles that have OBD II (1996 and up).

If your check engine light is not on however, you have no codes to pull.

The most likely cause of your problem will probably be a vacuum leak. Open the hood and listen for a whistling or sucking sound with the engine running. If you can't seem to find it but you can hear it, you can try to isolate exactly where it is by spraying carb cleaner in short bursts around the engine compartment. When the carb cleaner gets sucked into the vacuum leak, the engine idle will change indicating you've found the leak.

Old 08-11-06, 06:08 PM
Smile Bud_N

Originally Posted by davzack
Most auto parts stores can only pull codes on newer vehicles that have OBD II (1996 and up).

If your check engine light is not on however, you have no codes to pull.

The most likely cause of your problem will probably be a vacuum leak. Open the hood and listen for a whistling or sucking sound with the engine running. If you can't seem to find it but you can hear it, you can try to isolate exactly where it is by spraying carb cleaner in short bursts around the engine compartment. When the carb cleaner gets sucked into the vacuum leak, the engine idle will change indicating you've found the leak.
Thank you all for the requested info.I did find a vaccume leak and replaced it. The idle is working fine now.

Bud_N