Temp Guage shows nothing

Old 08-12-06, 08:51 PM
Question Temp Guage shows nothing

I have a 1992 gmc jimmy with a 4.3L v6 and it has digital guages. Last week the temerature guage stoped working, it shows no temperature at all. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before?

The only thing I can think this it would be is the sensor. Where is this sensor at so I can replace it?
Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-06, 09:10 PM
Front of the motor, look to the left and down from the EGR valve.

Old 08-13-06, 10:07 AM
Guage sensor is a single wire (green wire) sensor USUALLY located on LEFT cyl. head (drivers side head) between #1 and #3 spark plugs.

Old 08-14-06, 08:13 AM
this is true...and to test, do thi.

remove the wire connector from the sending unit, turn the ignition on but don't start the engine. ground the sending unit wire (yes, it's green) to the battery, engine block, etc and the guage should go to full hot...disconnected it should read full cold.

if this happens, the sender is bad....if it doesn't, you probably need a cluster assembly.

Old 08-14-06, 06:24 PM
Thanks alot guys, I seen the sensor and it looks easy to get at. Tomarrow Ill try the wire thing and hope for the best if its the sensor then Ill hose it down with liquid wrench and get a new one.

Old 08-15-06, 12:50 PM
I got another question, I found the sensor and grounded the wire and the guage worked fine. So I go to the auto parts store to buy a new one and they cant find one with a single wire, all theres use 3 wires. He said that these 3 wires are for from '88-98 or something like that. So what do I do if I cant get a new sensor? Maybe I should try a different parts store, this guy may be a idiot. The only problem is there isnt another one around for a ways.

Old 08-15-06, 12:56 PM
i've not seen a three wire sensor before...not for coolant temp anyway.

go back to that place and see if someone else there could help...two heads and all that. one wire temp senders have been around like forever...but they vary in connection style. lean on em a little...

Old 08-15-06, 08:17 PM
its called a coolant temperature sensor right? He said that there is a engine temperature sensor that goes to the guage, this had 3 wires. Then he said do you want a collant temperature sensor. He said the collant temperature sensor tells the computer how much fuel the engine needs. He said the coolant temp sensor doesnt send a signal to the guage. I think this guy is a crazy and Ill have to go someplace else.

Old 08-16-06, 04:21 AM
it's a sending unit really...and yes, it's for the guage, not the computer(which has two wires)