need some help... exhaust and smoke (1995 Plymouth Neon)

Old 08-15-06, 08:59 AM
Angry need some help... exhaust and smoke (1995 Plymouth Neon)

hey.. i need some help....

- Recently my car started pumping out a lot of smoke.

- I also failed emissions testing for extremely high NOx and high CO and HC readings.

- I can't tell if it is blue or white smoke coming out of the exhaust. It doesnt look like there is any oil in my coolant, so i dont think it is the head gasket.

- There is also water dripping from the edge of my muffler and out the end of my tailpipe.

Does anyone know what could cause high emissions and a lot of smoke from the exhaust?

I know it might be the piston rings, but could there be something else?

Thanks!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-06, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
Make, model, and year, Chris?

Any odor to the smoke/vapor?

Secondary indications like overheating or has it ever been overheated?

Watch coolant and oil levels in addition to your gas mileage to see if you can determine what you're burning - oil, coolant, or fuel. Blown head gasket would be coolant in the oil vice oil in the coolant. You can also have a blown head gasket with no effect the oil if the failed portion is between the cylinder and water jacket.

Old 08-15-06, 10:02 AM
1995 plymouth neon.

it has a slight vapor. Smells like exhaust to me but i can't tell the difference really. Doesnt smell sweet like it should with coolant. And there isn't any oil/coolant mixing that i can tell of. I just changed both my oil and coolant and they both looked clean. The smoke looks white like it would if coolant is being burnt. And there is water dripping. But I can't really tell if the smoke is blue or white. Is there a distinct difference?

it gets hot. I dont know if it is hotter than usual, but it might be. The reading on the instrument panel says its at normal temp. so i dont think its overheating.

Old 08-15-06, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
The color difference is pretty subtle; the smell would be much easier to discern if it were coolant, sweet as you mentioned. Running overrich and burning fuel at a high rate would be dark smoke and you would likely be able to detect the fuel smell. Might be time to let a pro take a look (& sniff). You might pull the spark plugs and see what they look like. If one or more are nice and white, as opposed to slightly brown/sooty of normal operation, it would be a possible indication you are burning water (coolant); it's like steam cleaning the plug in the bad cylinder(s).