1999 Ford Ranger

Old 08-15-06, 01:34 PM
1999 Ford Ranger

Got a code being kicked out, 401. It's EGR valve flow insufficient. I changed the EGR valve yesterday and did a soft reset to kill the code. After about 15 minutes of driving the code came back. Looking for a little guidance on this one, I'm about to read out the EVR (Electronic Vacuum Regulator) solenoid and DPFE Sensor (not sure what the acronym is). Is it possible to be the MAF sensor or TPS (throttle position sensor)?
This is my first time dealing with EGR problems, and I'm eager to learn.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-06, 05:01 AM
bad dpfe sensors are fairly common problem with fords would check to make sure that the exhuast pressure hoses are still conected to the dpfe sensor for a starting point.
another fairly common problem is carboned up egr passages in the intake causing little or no flow when the egr is open.
would suspect one of the 2 above if you have a hand held vacum pump or even just a piece of vacum line and you start the engine and hook full vacum to the egr or apply vacum to the egr with a hand held vacum pump tool at idle the engine should run very rough or may even die if there is very little change would suspect clogged egr passage.