Nissan Altima oil change

Old 08-14-06, 12:45 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nissan Altima oil change

Hi i have 6yr old Altima which was always going to mechanic for oil change. As recently our driving has increased we had to change oil more frequently. I am thinking of trying it on my own. I have few questions ..

What does it take? I haven't done any work on my car before ....
can something go wrong and spoil my car?
Is there a fool proof way of checking that everything alright once i am done with oil change? What i definitely don't want is save some money but my wife stranded with a broken car on road because i screwed up something... hope it is not that complicated.

1) What all items i would need to get the job done?
2) Where would you all dispose the used oil? Do townhouse recycle garbage collector collects used oil too?
3) Are there step by step instuctions somewhere?
4) Which oil do you suggest and where to buy?

Old 08-14-06, 09:41 PM
D
Ok first of all if you have never done an oil change, purchase yourself a Chilton's repair manual from your local auto parts store or check one out from your local library. The manual will give you a breakdown of what type of oil is recommended for your vehicle and also pinpoint the location of the oil drain plug. You will need 4-5 qts. oil and oil filter.

Secondly you will need tools: a set of metric wrenches, oil drain tub, and jack stands to raise the front of your vehicle. (Autozone you can take your oil in to be recycled, there is no charge)

But in all reality you are not saving very much by doing it yourself, its probably best just to have a shop do it. Less headache and cleanup for you.

Old 08-15-06, 05:05 AM
i'd have to agree with the last statement...around these parts, you can get a basic oil change for about 15 bucks. check around and find out some prices...if you are using jiffy lube or another chain, their marketing philosophy is get em in with a cheap service and then upsell, Upsell, UPSELL. a good brand oil filter (not fram) will cost 4-7 bucks and 5 qts of oil at 1.50-2.00 a qt and you haven't saved a dime.

Old 08-15-06, 05:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Originally Posted by carguyinva
5 qts of oil at 1.50-2.00 a qt and you haven't saved a dime.

What kind of oil can you get for that price? The local autozone gets $2.79 per quart of valvoline. I think the store brand might be under $2. Across the state line it is slightly cheaper but.. they tack on an extra oil tax = no savings.

I agree you can usually get an oil change for close to the same cost of doing it yourself. Personally I prefer to do it myself - know it's done right and no waiting at the shop.

Old 08-15-06, 05:49 AM
the cost of petroleum products is volatile, huh? i bought exxon oil at auto zone a few weeks ago under $2 a qt...

personally, i change my own because it's more convenient but i don't use valvoline or pennzoil becuse while they are a quality product, they're overpriced. all modern automotive engine oils have to meet or exceed certain standards.

Old 08-15-06, 07:03 AM
oil change

a good brand oil filter (not fram)
What's wrong with Fram???

Old 08-15-06, 07:41 AM
i have a cutaway fram filter that i use to compare what you get for the money. there's a fraction of the filter materiel inside the filter compared to the AC filter i compare it to. the proof is in the pudding, i suppose...and you get what you pay for. i'm nont knocking anyone that uses them...i just won't use them or recommend them.

Old 08-15-06, 06:08 PM
Fram oil filters are cheaply made, and overpriced...... about they're only good filter costs nearly double what a same quality filter would cost.... thin filter media (mostly uneven and warped) card board end caps!!! hardly glued on, and sometimes defective bypass valves....
Some of the time you can see the shavings on the threads... they run off name now.....

Btw, many good oils under $2, pennzoil sold at dollar general (great oil) or havoline for (still beleive its the same price) $1.75 at some family dollars...... more in autoparts stores...., your gonna pay more for the same thing at autoparts stores anyway (unless on sale)

Old 08-16-06, 08:53 AM
oil change

Ok so which oil filter do you think is the best???

Old 08-16-06, 09:33 AM
I personally like wix, but theres many others.... champion labs (makes supertech filters) and purolator to name a couple.

Old 08-16-06, 09:47 AM
i'm a wix guy....and a joe gibbs fan

Old 08-16-06, 10:42 PM
H
I use AC Delco from autozone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: