cleared OBDII codes, now can't get car inspected.

Old 08-15-06, 08:09 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cleared OBDII codes, now can't get car inspected.

I cleared a check engine light code using a cheapie $30 OBDII scanner I bought from Ebay. Now I can't get my car inspected. The inspection shop said the whole computer is cleared out & I have to drive the car around for a week & bring it back. In a week, it'll have history in it & it can pass the inspection.

Question: What's the fastest way I can fill the chip back up? What does it go by? Number of times the car is started? Number of trips? Different speeds? I'm concerned I won't have driven it around in the proper way to fill the chip back up.

(It's a 2000 Chevy Prizm, but I think it's a standard question for all cars)

Thanks for any info you can offer! I really want to make sure I do the correct type of driving for the obdii computer to fill its history so I can pass the NY State inspection.

Old 08-15-06, 11:11 PM
M
It's not a matter of "filling the chip back up"... Clearing whatever DTC that was stored in memory set a P1000 "code". This code will be stored in memory until all the emissions monitors are complete....

Since you had a DTC stored in memory, chances are that the emissions monitors may not complete and the check engine light will come back.

The only sure way to get rid of a DTC is to fix the concern that created it in the first place.

Old 08-16-06, 05:05 AM
M
drive it

The only thing you can do is drive it take a 60 mile trip that should do the trick, However if you just cleared the code without fixing the problem it will come back to haunt you and it still will not pass.
You can not fool the computer into thinking there is no problems when there is by just clearing the codes it will resurface. I also have one of those Code scanners that auto zone uses and I can clear a code and make the light go off but in less then 60 miles it will come on.
You have to find out what the orginal code is for and fix it then reset code then drive 60 miles to teach the computer.

Old 08-16-06, 06:31 AM
S
So far, I've driven about 40 miles. 20 miles at highway speed, and the rest in stop & go traffic. It's been 4 starts & stops of the car in total. The Check Engine light hasn't come back on. If I go another 20 miles, would that be enough for the emissions monitors to be ready for the inspection?

PS: The code that I cleared originally was a 0171 "engine running too lean". That doesn't seem to have anything to do with emissions anwyay. IF, and only IF, that check engine light comes back on, if I take it to an Autozone where they have a more elaborate scanner, could they clear that one 0171 code without clearing out the emissions monitors so it'll pass inspection?

Old 08-16-06, 11:11 AM
M
no

The scanner they use is the Actron CP9I 35 and it will clear all codes and you will be back to square one. However it can tell you if it is ready to test.

Old 08-16-06, 05:23 PM
X
In my experience if you have driven the car long enough to meet the computer's paramaters and the SES light stays off, the car almost allways passes inspection.

Old 08-16-06, 06:25 PM
C
I believe the car has to go through so many "driving cycles" for the different systems to show "ready". If you clear the code, the emissions system may not show "ready" until so many driving cycles have been completed. Do a search on "drive cycles" and you'll see what all they include. The inspection equipment can read that certain systems aren't ready and it generally won't pass that portion of the test.

Old 08-17-06, 06:27 AM
Running too lean is definitely an emissions related code...nonetheless, any check engine light code will prevent you from getting your car inspected. You really need to address the code and fix your problem...car manufacturers don't just put that light there to look pretty. It indicates a problem with your engine, that if left unaddressed will only cost you more in the long run.

As far as getting around the light, resetting only that code, etc...you can't fool the computers. Once you fully complete your drive cycle, the car's computer is going to detect the same problem that you had before and put the check engine light back on. It's probably already detected it for that matter and has it stored in the computer as a pending code. Some codes will not activate a check engine light until the drive cycle is complete. As soon as the cycle completes that pending code will become current and activate the check engine light.

My advice obviously is to fix your lean running condition...with what you spent on the scanner and gas driving around so far, you probably could have paid to have the light professionally diagnosed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: