Lexus problems (Solenoid)

Old 08-16-06, 03:28 PM
Lexus problems (Solenoid)

i have a 1995 lexus es300 sometimes meaning not all the times once a week i cannot start the car. The solenoid clicks but no starting 1] changed the battery 2] check the battery all ok 3] try starting with lights on no dimming of course no starting either. my question is. Do i have missing teeths on my wheel or the starter solenoid doesn't make good connection inside or both.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-06, 04:54 PM
If battery and cable connections are good, then solenoid may be having problems and causing the starter not to engage. And, it could be a faulty starter. Try starting the car and have someone hit the starter. If it starts up, it's the starter.

Old 08-16-06, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
I've only had one starter problem in 25+ years of Toyota ownership and it was due to worn contacts in the solenoid portion of the starter (my wife's '95 Camry; think it had about 150k miles at the time). The solenoid contacts are replaceable if you're handy enough to r&r the starter; actually replacing the contacts is less work than getting the starter out and in. There are two contacts/terminals and a central plunger that makes the connection when an electromagnet pulls it down to contact the terminals. Think I paid less than $30 for the three parts. When you're done, you have a starter that will likely outlive the vehicle; can't always say that with a rebuilt unit (I'm assuming you don't want to pay the really big bucks for a shiny new one from Toyota).