2003 Impala won't start

Old 08-16-06, 05:13 PM
2003 Impala won't start

Situation: attempt to start engine, turn key, all accessory functions (radio, fan, lights) work as key turns to acc position, continuing to turn key to start position and nothing happens. As I expected accessories stop, but no noise from starter, no clicking, buzzing, nothing. I removed and reinstalled the starter relay, same symptoms. I charge the battery for about 12 minutes. The battery charger (set at a 10 amp charging rate) indicated the battery was accepting a 8 amp charge rate. After about 12 minutes the engine starts and runs fine. I drive to the local NAPA store: they check my battery: ok; they check the alternator output: ok @14.17 volts. This same situation happened about 2 months ago, and was remedied in the same manner. Any ideas???? I hate reliability issues as my son drives this car out of state and I'd hate to be at the mercy of an out of state clip joint.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-06, 06:31 PM
Does it only happen after it sits for a length of time?

You could have a current draw on the battery that drains it? Did napa's alternater test put a load on the charging system?

Pull the battery cables and inspect for corrosion, that can happen at the battery, inside the cable insulation and all the way down to the starter. Hope that helps.

Old 08-17-06, 06:29 AM
Group Moderator
How old IS the battery?

Second Colby's rec to check connections. If you've ever had to replace an end terminal, check real close; those bolt-on replacements are notorious for bad connections from corrosion and it's not always obvious.

Old 08-17-06, 10:46 AM
thanks for the replies, gentlemen. The battery is the original 4 yr old Delco factory original item. The cables are also factory original and appear to be in good shape. the first time this occurred it happened after the vehicle sat for about 2-3 hrs, the last time it sat overnight. When battery terminals are disconnected and reconnected there is no sparking which would indicate a draw. Napa's tester checked with engine on and off, with all options off and then when the lights, radio and wipers were on. The test was not a load test of the battery, would this help to identify the cause of this issue???

Old 08-17-06, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by rquack
Situation: attempt to start engine, turn key, all accessory functions (radio, fan, lights) work as key turns to acc position, continuing to turn key to start position and nothing happens. As I expected accessories stop, but no noise from starter, no clicking, buzzing, nothing. I removed and reinstalled the starter relay, same symptoms. I charge the battery for about 12 minutes. The battery charger (set at a 10 amp charging rate) indicated the battery was accepting a 8 amp charge rate. After about 12 minutes the engine starts and runs fine. I drive to the local NAPA store: they check my battery: ok; they check the alternator output: ok @14.17 volts. This same situation happened about 2 months ago, and was remedied in the same manner. Any ideas???? I hate reliability issues as my son drives this car out of state and I'd hate to be at the mercy of an out of state clip joint.
how did they check the battery with a meter across that is a totaly worthless check.

Old 08-18-06, 02:01 AM
Here Is A Tip

Modren day batterys are on there last leg at 4 years old It will not be long before it gives up. I would toss it and get a fresh one and while it is out clean all cables.
While it is out you can also clean the battery tray with baking soda and water and a hose. (not required but I do it anyway).