Body Work

Old 08-18-06, 06:30 AM
Body Work

My son's car was hit in a parking lot. Very little damage was done to his car. He does not know who hit him. It is an old car and he only carries liability insurance so he is going to repair it himself. The only damage is that the paint, bright yellow, from the other car was left on the tail light and the rubber part of his back bumper. I can't understand how the tail light was not broken. I'm sure he can get another tail light but I was hoping someone here could advise me about how to remove the paint from the bumper of his car. Is there something he can use to help disolve the paint to make it easier to scrape off? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Debby

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-06, 07:33 AM
Polishing compound or rubbing compound can often remove foreign paint which has been applied in the manner that you describe. My Mom's bumper was recently brushed by another car and the resulting mark was removed easily with my polishing compound. No damage was done to the original paint on the bumper cover.

Old 08-18-06, 08:24 AM
Body Work

Thank you. I actually have some rubbing and polishing compound on hand. I will try it. Debby

Old 08-18-06, 12:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have had sucess with cleaner wax and a lot of elbow grease.

Old 08-18-06, 01:21 PM
WD-40,alcohol,believe it or not,a eraser.

Old 08-18-06, 01:30 PM
A clay bar might be the safest to start with.

Old 08-18-06, 10:09 PM
Cool paint removal

Originally Posted by littlefitz
My son's car was hit in a parking lot. Very little damage was done to his car. He does not know who hit him. It is an old car and he only carries liability insurance so he is going to repair it himself. The only damage is that the paint, bright yellow, from the other car was left on the tail light and the rubber part of his back bumper. I can't understand how the tail light was not broken. I'm sure he can get another tail light but I was hoping someone here could advise me about how to remove the paint from the bumper of his car. Is there something he can use to help disolve the paint to make it easier to scrape off? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Debby
i would use on the plastic try rubbing compound on the light and the bumper cover or for more stubborn use some laquer thinner then the rubbing compound.. hope it helps!!

Old 08-19-06, 04:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by dominatorjet
for more stubborn use some laquer thinner

I would be leary of using laquer thinner, while it will remove the paint it may also disolve the car's paint.