2000 Caravan Knocking Sound

Old 08-19-06, 09:55 AM
2000 Caravan Knocking Sound

I bought this van about six months ago. It has the 3.0 V6, about 61,000 miles. Van runs great. My question is, when I start it in the morrning there is a knocking/ ticking sound under the hood that lasts about one to two minutes and then stops. The noise dose not come back untill I let the van sit for a few hours, or when the engine is cold.

Can anyone tell me what this could be?

Thanx, Sam

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-06, 01:49 PM
Try changing the oil and filter. It has solved the same problem for me in the past.

Old 08-20-06, 04:10 AM
Changed the oil and filter twice since I bought it. I'm just wondering if this is a common sound for this vehicle at start up or is this the start of something bad?

It's strange to me because it stops sudenly, (the clicking) which tells me its suppose to do that. But the clicking dosen't sound right, too loud or sounds like a lifter or something. Thats why I was wondering if someone else has or had this same noise and what it is.

Old 08-20-06, 10:38 AM
Talking lifters

sounds like the lifters are not holding up , and in the morning they are pumping up ( filling with oil ) , you could try some addatives , miricle oil , 501 , etc , and what wieght oil are you using , this year make and model uses 5w30 i believe using a thicker oil will take longer to pump up lifters. also you could take it to a reputable shop ,and have them do an engine flush , but not with just addatives , ask if they have a engine power flush machine like a bilstien etc.... hth

Old 08-20-06, 10:53 AM
Thanx smogman, I think I have 10w30 in there now. 5w30 would make a difference you think? What do you mean when you say the lifters are not holding up?

Old 08-21-06, 04:58 AM
My understanding of the knocking sound in the 3.0 Mitsubishi engine used in the Dodge/Plymouth is the camshaft knocking against the rear thrust until the cavity fills with oil acting as a cushion. Supposedly, according to Chrysler, it doesn't do any harm. A friend of mine, having the same issue with his 1990 (same year as mine), suggested using Slick 50 but when I tried it worked for about three days and the noise was back again. 10W30 oil is not the right oil for the Mitsubishi engine because of the bearing clearences involved....use 5W30.

Old 08-21-06, 05:19 AM
Thanx for the imput lhewitt. I had a '90 Voyager, before this van, with the same Mitsubishi 3.0 engine in it. I had no problems with that engine, meaning there was no knocking/ clicking at start up. So I assumed that this engine, being newer, was not exactly the same and maybe this is something either wrong or very common with this newer engine. For the most part it looks very simular, sounds the same (except for the knocking), but this one dose seem to burn more gas though. I will switch to 5w30 though, I've allways used 10w30.