1995 Saturn OBD1 problems

Old 08-19-06, 09:01 AM
1995 Saturn OBD1 problems

My son has a 1995 Saturn in which he replaced a bad PCM unit that he bought from a wrecking yard. The new unit fix his problem however he now gets an OBD1 code stating he has an ABS brake problem. The trouble is he does not have ABS brakes on his car. When he bought the surplus PCM from the wrecking yard every one of the numbers on the Wrecking yard unit matched the numbers on his old unit. Saturn says he must replace the PCM with a dealer unit at a total cost of about 500. Can anyone help out. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-06, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Well, the easy fix would be to ignore it since there would be no effect to safe operation of the brakes. I'm guessing the check engine or service soon or whatever light is on and that is the rub?

Old 08-20-06, 11:32 AM
Larry

The problem is that it will not pass emissions with the check engine light on.

Old 08-20-06, 12:38 PM
Just a thought but you could ask a different dealer if the PCM can be reprogrammed to leave out the ABS part. Or talk to the junkyard and explain your problem and see if they can exchange your PCM with another that doesn't have ABS or they might know if you could fix it by reprogramming. Chances are they have encountered this problem before.

Old 08-20-06, 01:14 PM
Larry

Thank for the idea. However the dealer has told me that the Saturn OBD1 Pcm's cannot be reprogrammed. I have seen this info on other forums also. The junkyard says they can only go by the numbers on the PCM units to match up with the cars and that sometimes if the PCM comes off a car with other options there is nothing they can do. The numbers on the PCM my son bought matched exactly to the old one however the car it came from had the ABS option. Thanks however for the info.
Larry