overheating on 1999 town and country


Old 08-19-06, 01:02 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
overheating on 1999 town and country

my chrysler t&c is overheating around town with the air conditiong on. The engine needs service light is on. I believe it is a sensor, (Happened once before) how do you find and replace the sensor?

don thompson
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-06, 01:43 PM
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,538
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
would check to make sure your cooling fans are working should run most of the time with the a/c on.
would need to have codes checked on the vehicle to see why the check engine light is on and go from there if you have a local autozone or other parts store may be able to scan the codes for you or you can see a shop for having the codes scanned.
Old 08-19-06, 06:07 PM
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sterling Heights
Posts: 308
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I doubt a bad sensor would cause the engine to overheat.......
It sounds like you're not getting enough airflow over the radiator and condenser. When it happens, does the A/C vent temperatures get warmer?

I'm not familiar with that car and don't know if the radiator cooling fan is belt driven or electric? If it's a belt driven fan; most likely the "Clutch Fan" is bad. If it's got more than 50,000 mile on it, you should replace it anyway.

If itís got an electric radiator fan, it's probably not going into its high speed when you switch on the A/C.
Good luck,
Old 08-20-06, 09:49 AM
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: los angeles
Posts: 22
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

yup definitly sounds the the high speed fan is not kicking in , you can check this yourself , turn the vehicle on , ac high mode , then check to see if the fans are on , if not then thats your problem , some newer chryslers do monitor the cooling system , so thats probably why the c.e.l. is on , there are a number of things that can cause fans not coming on , fuse , open ckt, and fan relay, which is very commen on these , but the best advise is to take it to a reputable shop and have them diag.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: