97 Corolla hood stuck

Old 08-20-06, 09:24 AM
97 Corolla hood stuck

I pull inside hood release handle, the hood did not pop up. I have a 97 2WD 4 door base model Corolla made in Canada.
Does anyone know how to open stuck 97 Corolla hood?

I found three screws for the hood lock, two are accessable, one is behind the Toyota logo on the front grill, does anyone know how to remove the logo ? (I don't think the grill itself can be removed without open the hood) If everything fails, I would try to remove the screws for the hood lock.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-06, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
Is there still a feel of tension on the handle or does it feel loose like the cable's broken? If the cable still feels intact, have someone pull and hold the release while you shake the edge of the hood up and down. The latch may release. Beyond that you can try lating down and reaching up behind the grill to see if you can reach the cable/latch. When you do finally get it open, be sure to lube things up.

Old 08-20-06, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the tips.
The hood was very tight, shaking the hood did not work.
It wasn't too hard to remove the logo and three mounting bolts. Then I found the lock was also attached to the grill by a screw.
I removed the lock, lubed it up with WD-40, re-assembled the lock and cable. The inside release lever is working now.
I'll lube the lock and cable everytime when I open the hood.
I also found a trick for the 97 Corolla, the hood can be released by using a bicycle spoke under the lock after removing the logo.

Old 08-21-06, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Good job, yahoo; fortunately it sounds like it wasn't too much of a job. Some makes/models it is a major job.