Steering wheel shimmy at 75 mph - Honda CRV

Old 08-21-06, 05:20 AM
Question Steering wheel shimmy at 75 mph - Honda CRV

I have a 2005 Honda CR-V SE with 30500 miles on it. I had the Honda dealer do the 30,000 mile service to the car. They told me that the disc brake rotors needed turning, that it needed alignment, and it needed new tires. The price they quoted me for that service was several hundred dollars higher than other major shops.

I took the vehicle to a major automotive shop and they turned the rotors and did a 4-wheel alignment. The mechanic was very experienced and I trust his work.

For new tires I went to a major warehouse tire dealer. They installed four tires, and did a spin balance job. When I took the car out on the road there was a noticable shimmy in the steering wheel at about 60 mph. I took the car back to the tire installer, they checked the balance on the wheels and said 3 out of the 4 were not in balance. They re-balanced those 3 wheels.

But the car still shimmys at about 75 mph. The steering wheel moves back and forth very rapidly for about 3/4 of and inch. I am thinking that there is still a balancing problem with the wheels.

I am wondering if the tire balancing machines that have been used on my wheels are not working correctly. Should I try to get another location of the same tire installer to check the balance again? What should be my approach to getting this problems solved?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-06, 05:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wow, that is strange. Wheel balance or wore out front end parts are usually the cause. Wouldn't hurt to try another store.

Old 08-21-06, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
I'm more than a little surprised a car with 30,000 miles would need to have anything done with the alignment unless you have a habit of running over curbs and into potholes. Did the dealer also recommend pads or just the rotors turned? That would be a LITTLE unusual. Sounds like the dealership was profit-hunting.

Your tire installers wheel balancer has already been proven unreliable. Probably time to try someone else. As Mark notes, at 30,000 miles it's fairly unlikely to be anything else unless you got a bad (out of round) tire, but that should be noticeable when they balance them.

Old 08-22-06, 02:30 AM
Well how about a wheel aligment the tires can be balanced perfect but if the wheels are not aligned you will get that kind of trouble. I am also surprised to hear 40k miles and this kind of problems sometimes you buy a lemon i guess.

Old 08-22-06, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
I suspect alignment jobs are pretty easy to "sell" whether they are needed or not. The average car owner knows about as much about wheel alignment as they do about celestial navigation.

Old 08-22-06, 04:57 AM
I would suspect a bad tire. If this didn't start until you got the tires then that kind of narrows it down.

If you got the tires at the big place with "Discounters" in their name I have felt the pain of them bending one of my Weld Draglite racing rims and on my 4x4 it took them several attemps before they got the balancing correct. Before those two incodents though they did good work for me.

Old 08-22-06, 05:26 AM
Thanks for your replies. I am happy to report that the problem has been solved.

I took the Honda CR-V to another location of the company where I bought the tires. At that second location they re-balanced all four wheels. The mechanic who did that job said that the original balancing was done with too many weights. He pulled all the weights off the wheels and just started over. He said that they balanced out nicely with far less weight.

The test to see if it had been done right was a ten mile run on I-95 at speeds from 60 to 80 mph. Thankfully everything was smooth with no shimmy. So the problem was simply bad balancing by the first location, and it was solved by re-balancing by somebody who knew what he was doing.

Of course I can't be sure if the original problem was due to technique or equipment. It could be that the balancing machine at the first location was not properly calibrated.

Old 08-23-06, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
I would report the problem to the company so they can have an opportunity to fix it for future customers.