92 Dodge Caravan 3.3 Overflow

Old 08-21-06, 11:50 PM
92 Dodge Caravan 3.3 Overflow

I have a 92 dodge caravan 3.3 152,000 miles

At the beginning of the summer i changed thermostat and radiator cap For some reason someone put a 13 psi but book calls for 16 psi so i switched it and coolant and ever since i notice that on a hot day or when i use the Air Condition when i shut the vehicle and pop the hood the Coolant in the overflow raises and sometimes boils and sometimes comes over. Is it normal for it to boil like that. Temp Guage always normal. Anyone have any input?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-06, 09:25 AM
Anyone out there at all have any input?

Old 08-22-06, 06:46 PM
Post overheating

no this is not normal , do me a favor and check if the fan is kicking in when you turn your ac on at full blast , if the radiator fan is not on , then thats your problem , usually when people complain of overheating with ac on , its the fan. please let me know

Old 08-22-06, 08:55 PM
I checked both fans multiple times and they both work just like they are suppose to.

Old 08-22-06, 10:38 PM
put a 16 psi cap on rad and go from there, that's what your manual says right ?
go by the manual.

Old 08-23-06, 05:24 AM
Group Moderator
If I read the post right, the cap's already been changed back to 16 psi afterwhich the problem began. BUT, could have gotten a bad cap. Might try another one. Also, after an overflow are you maybe topping the reservoir off so that it is actually overfilled? If so, next hot/cold cycle and you'll likely get a little overflow. The way the system works is by moving the coolant back and forth between the radiator and the overflow tank (expansion tank might be an accurate description) as the need arises based on the expansion and contraction of the fluid due to heating and cooling.

Old 08-23-06, 05:56 AM
THe book calls for a 16 and that is what i put on there. I started to notice the problem after the weather heated up and i started using the AC. I realize coolant moves back and forth between the radiator and overflow but is it normal for it to really boil in the overflow after i shut the car off?

Old 08-24-06, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
You may be seeing a more noticeable level, but it is more or less normal. The coolant in the engine reaches it's hottest after you shut off the engine. Are you having to add coolant or is the actual amount in the engine relatively the same?

Old 08-29-06, 03:13 PM
I havn't had to add any coolant as of yet but i may have to add a little because it is right below the low line so i may just add fluid up to the low line change the cap and see what happens. I didn't notice this problem with the 13 psi cap on the car but maybe it was there and was just not looking.