trani problem

Old 08-22-06, 01:21 PM
trani problem

Hey, new to this site. Great forum you guys have here. If anyone could help at all would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 96 dodge ram 1500, 5.9L 2 wheel drive automatic. The trani won't shift into 2nd gear all the time. Some times it will. It will just revv up and run in 1st for a good while, and sometimes it will junp into 2nd and be fine, Or other times it will be fine from the get go. Usually it's fine when i leave the house and as soon as i come to my first stop about 8 miles away it won't shift into 2nd when i pull out. seems like it gets hot and quits working. But then again sometimes it jumps right in gear if i pull over and start again.

Could it be slipping, or maybe a bad coverter, maybe an electrical problem? I also changed the fluid and filter, but it looked clean as can be, wasn't dirty at all. is there any tests i can do to check for different possiblities?

thanx for any help
dan

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-06, 05:16 PM
Sound like you have a governor pressure transducer problem, I donot know if a generic scanner(snap-on, OTC.....) be able to read those sensors or not but if you can get a hand on Dodge's DRBIII scanner, you can read the sensor value at the time it shift and I can tell you if it's out of spect or not.

The pressure transducer does not cost much either, you'll need to drop the trans pan and a small part of the valve body to replace the sensor, you'll also need the E25 torx socket to remove it though.

Old 08-23-06, 09:20 AM
thanx alot, i'll look into that. what does a pressure transducer do exactly?

thanx for your help

Old 08-23-06, 09:37 AM
Basically it's controlling up/down shifting via electronic governor and Trans Controller, they both located at the same location on the valve body, I use to replace them both because they both right next to each other and also don't want to open it up again if one does not fix the problem with hot trans fluid, if you can save the fluid, you can try one at a time (try the pressure sensor first), the gasket is a re-useable if it's still factory set up, most DIYers does not know and throw the gasket away and replaced it with something else.

Old 08-23-06, 10:27 AM
Ok great I'm def going to try it and see what happens,
yeah I kept the old gasket the last time i changed it, looked like the rubber stock gasket was a better gasket than the twisted up cork gasket you get with a new filter thanx man

Old 08-23-06, 10:40 AM
do you know where i can get one of thoes?

Old 08-23-06, 03:10 PM
I donot know if you can find them from your local auto part store, I work for Dodge/Nissan so I use factory parts.