2002 Isuzu Rodeo ERG valve replacement

Old 08-22-06, 05:38 PM
2002 Isuzu Rodeo ERG valve replacement

I just bought a manual but not much help. I need to know if I have to raise the vehicle in order to remove the tube from the manifold? Anybody have a step by step proceedure on this one.
Dealer wants $510.00 to replace!! Poorman needs help. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-06, 06:25 PM
egr

hey poorman , these egr valves are electrical and sit near the right rear of the intake manifold , there is no tube going to the manifold, these have alot of problem with carbon getting stuck on the pintle , so when u remove it check to make sure its not just carbon on the pintle , it is a 3 wire egr valve , looks exactly as a matter of fact is a gm part .

Old 08-23-06, 03:21 AM
Originally Posted by kevin a
I just bought a manual but not much help. I need to know if I have to raise the vehicle in order to remove the tube from the manifold? Anybody have a step by step proceedure on this one.
Dealer wants $510.00 to replace!! Poorman needs help. Thanks!
There's a tube coming from the intake but you donot need to remove it to replace an EGR valve.

Why do you need to replace the valve?. Engine light on?.

Old 08-23-06, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by New guy
There's a tube coming from the intake but you donot need to remove it to replace an EGR valve.

Why do you need to replace the valve?. Engine light on?.
Thanks for your help, Yes, took my rodeo in for transmission check and flush. Dealer required my car to be hooked up to their computer to do entire system check ($80.00). According to the printout there was two codes, one for ERG replacement and one for errattic spark "Spark Plugs". 87,000 miles on my Rodeo, last plug change was at 53,000 miles. What get's me steamed that the car was running fine with no light on before taking to dealer and now it's on! I refused the $275.00 for spark plugs the $510.00 for the ERG Valve, and get this $43.00 for two wiper blades. Thanks for your help.

Kevin.

Old 08-24-06, 02:39 AM
I would not replace the EGR valve at this time, they are rarely goes bad, how handy are ya and do you have any hand tools, air compressor?.

Old 08-25-06, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by New guy
I would not replace the EGR valve at this time, they are rarely goes bad, how handy are ya and do you have any hand tools, air compressor?.

Yes, I have a very good compressor and all the tools I need.

Old 08-25-06, 06:28 PM
Ok, Engine off, battery disconnected.

Remove the EGR valve (2 bolts) and set it aside then remove the air duct tube that goes to throttle body and set it aside, open the throttle plate and look inside, on the bottom part of the openning, you'll see a small tube which probably clogged up, it's kinda hard to see the tube because the angle of the throttle plate and the cooling fan shroud but you can see it and that is the vacuum tube that run back to the EGR valve, unclogged it by using a cloth hanger and poke it in, usually it's about an inch of the front of the tube is clogged, then use compress air blows it thru, it'll comes out at the EGR valve end, use some carb. cleaner spray around the throttle plate to clean the body, then you can reinstall all removed parts and run it, it may be little hard to start due to carb. cleaner spray in it and may run rough when first started but it'll clear out, let it run at idle for aprox 5-10min for ECU relearn the idle, then drive it around and see if the "check engine" light come back on, it may take couple days to turn the light back on if the problem still there.

Have fun, post back if any.