oil pan drain plug

Old 08-24-06, 06:46 AM
Angry oil pan drain plug

Here's the story, 1994 Buick Century, 3100 motor, neighbor goes to her regular gas station for an oil change and the dope overtightens the drain plug and puts a hair line crack in the pan by the threads and it now drips oil. I realize the correct fix is to change the pan but the car has 84K on it and the neighbor is 81 yrs old, and the job is a $400+++ dollar job. Has any one got any suggestions? She drives about 500 miles a month, and likes the car.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-06, 07:49 AM
Group Moderator
Some reason why the offending garage isn't taking care of the fix or are they denying they did it?

Old 08-24-06, 08:13 AM
They said she must have hit something. They are full of crap,I have changed oil on enough of these cars with the cast pan to know better than to overtighen these plugs. There are no marks on the pan to indicate a hit either.

Old 08-24-06, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
There are several products, JB Weld for instance, that will probably do the job, unfortunately I think you may need to drop the pan to get the best results. To fix in place you would need a product resistant to the oil that would be seeping out.

Those cast pans are a nightmare for towing, too. I always glance underneath after hooking up to check for a cast pan; the wheel lift crossbar gets a little close on some models.

Old 08-24-06, 10:54 AM
What do you think of the rubber plugs on a stick?

Old 08-24-06, 11:49 AM
check this out

Go to GOOGLE and type in LA-CO industries they have a epoxy tabs type O I have had a kit in my junk drawer for years got it in the Navy before I retired It is made for oil leaks it is two tabs that you mix togeather I dont know if they sell retail but maybe they can help you find a place that has it.

EPOXY TAB TYPE "O"

·Premature tabs, which are easily kneaded together
·Use for up to an hour after mixing
·Adhesion is developed when tabs are wet with oil or gasoline.
·Recommended for equipment, which needs to be back in service within minutes
I copied this from there web page for you.

Old 08-25-06, 04:52 AM
Group Moderator
Good find, MV; I was wondering if maybe there wasn't a product that could be used on "wet" leaks.

Old 08-25-06, 08:45 AM
I have used a gas tank repair epoxy. It is VersaChem PartNO. 16709, Magnum Instant Gas Tank Repair, it works in the presents of gas and water, its about $3.00. I got it at Advance Auto Parts, Autozone should have the same thing. Have a nice day. Geo