'94 Jeep with Bent Axle

Old 08-24-06, 07:51 AM
'94 Jeep with Bent Axle

I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L engine, 115,000 miles and I am the original owner on a well maintained car. A couple days ago I was rear ended by a Honda that went underneath my Jeep at a high rate of speed and struck the axle (instead of hitting the bumper) and bent it. The Jeep was towed from the accident and I have not had a chance to see or drive it.

As the insurance company now wants to total out my Jeep, I have two questions.
1. There were no liquids leaking from the car, but if I was to align the wheels, is a car typically driveable with a bent axle?

2. Is changing the axle assembly myself something I should consider?

Thanks for you help

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-06, 03:10 PM
replace assy

I would replace the axle assy and not drive it bent,also check all attacment points for secondary damage.I assume you have leaf springs.It is a do it yourself job IMO with proper tools like jack stands and a floor jack.

Old 08-25-06, 02:54 PM
Not a job I have attempted before - other than jacking it up, taking the weight off the wheels and removing bolts off a very heavy item, is there anything else I should know? Is buying one from a salvage yard a good alternative?

Old 08-25-06, 03:51 PM
My experience

I have only changed the rear end on a 79 Nova it was pretty easy just disconnet brake line and E brake cable remove driveshaft,support rear end with a good floor jack remove bolts securing it to springs remove shock mounts and lower whole assy with drums and all.
It might help to have a helper to help steady the thing.Also if you have a good jack with a big saddle that helps.
After it is out you can swap parts like brake shoes,drums etc.
When I got my rear end out of a junk yard they just cut it out with a torch they cut the U bolts and drive shaft so I had extra parts like brake drums.
Not a bad job if you can lay on a nice floor that the jack can roll around on.
Just make sure you have some GOOD jack stands and as a secondary saftey I used the wheels under the frame just in case.
Also block the front wheels so no rolling is going to happen.If you take your time you can do it in a few hours. I would buy one from a salvage yard just make sure it is not in the junk yard for a roll over or rear end crash.