evaporator 95 jeep grand cherokee limited

Old 08-27-06, 11:23 AM
evaporator 95 jeep grand cherokee limited

I need to replace (or believe i do) the evaporator and need a step by step manual or instructions. The ac no longer works, emits heat only and a horrid smell. Have been told there is a freon leak, also have looked at numerous sites and believe it is the evaporator that needs replacing. Not sure how to get to it. know i have to remove the entire dash. Please advise. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-06, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Before going to that much trouble, I would make REAL sure it really was the evaporator. You would hate to put in big time and $$$ replacing the evaporator onbly to find the compressor is dead. Unfortunately leak detection is not very DIY-able. Your best bet would be for an ac shop to track down the leak and then you can make decisions from there. Among other things, unless the system has completely leaked out, you will need an ac shop to recover the refrigerant. If it does turn out to be the evaporator, you will also need to replace the receiver/drier before evacuating and recharging.

Old 08-27-06, 06:15 PM
jeep95,
welcome to the diy forums., hope that you will find it useful in all your projects. but, sometimes, there are things that are brought up that are better left up to the pros. as the tow guy stated, which i totally agree with, unless you have all of the equiptment, such as a recovery machine, leak detector/sensor, nitrogen, pump down unit, (and a small thing called a epa certification,mov) etc., the list can go on, but i'll stop rambling about the stuff you will need.
the smell is probably being generated by the crud that has deposited on the coil/plugged condensate drain line.

barry