1995 F-150 U-joint replacement

Old 08-30-06, 01:03 PM
1995 F-150 U-joint replacement

I have the part, but I'm not clear on procedure. I have seen where the standard advice is to use a vice and two sockets (one small and one large) to drive the old joint out of the yoke and shaft. But my question is
1. How do I get the shaft/joint/yoke assembly off of the vehicle? I assume I don't drag a vice under it...
2. And is there a tool that would make my job a little easier. My buddy lent me a wheel-puller but I'm not sure about how that will work. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-06, 02:36 PM
standard procedure

If it is just like any driveshaft on a rear wheel car you remove the cap bolts on the rear of the drive shaft were it hooks up to the rear end drop it down and slide the shaft back and out. The front is splined into the tranny and you will lose some oil.

Old 08-30-06, 02:41 PM
scotch the vehicle so it cant roll then remove the driveshaft.
there is a balljoint/ ujoint tool that can help you replace the ujoints might check with your local parts store to see if they rent any out, a press works good also other wise the hammer and socket way will work also.

Old 08-30-06, 02:47 PM
good tip

That is a good saftey tip since even with the parking brake on it will roll.Block the tires fore and aft.

Old 08-30-06, 03:17 PM
Thanks folks. I'll report back on how it went.

Old 09-12-06, 01:35 PM
I screwed the job up! After removing the four bolts in the drive-to-differential connection, I couldn't get the driveshaft to drop. So I errantly went after the carrier bearing and loosened the two bolts holding it to the frame. I stripped those bolts because of rust and a number of other issues and had to drive up to the corner shop at 5mph. They finished and fixed the job I had started for $120 A painful lesson. Turns out when they hoisted the vehicle, shaft came out a lot easier because the diff dropped below the carrier bearing...Thanks for your help, And I'll pay more attention to the words Jack-Stands in the procedure I had followed, albeit to quickly.

Old 09-12-06, 05:33 PM
Dont Worry

Dont worry even the dealer screws up a long time ago in 89 I bought a brand new Chevrolet 3/4 ton pick up any way long story short Trans went out before the 12000 mile warranty dealer replaced trannie but tightened carrier bearing before bolts were it hooks up to diff. I heard clicking and found the caps to diff bent as they tried to tighten bolts.
I fixed it myself just loosened up carrier (it has a slot for bolts to slide for or aft tightened back diff bolts and then carrier once it was sitting were it wanted.
So you see it happens.