1988 cutlass ciera with rough Idol

Old 08-30-06, 04:32 PM
1988 cutlass ciera with rough Idol

I have a 1988 Multi Port 2.8 Lit. cutlass ciera that has a rough idol. The computer came up with code 34, map sensor . About 3 weeks ago i put new set of spark plugs in it (helped a little), And i put a Mass air flow sensor in it about 2 Months ago. This did not change the way the car runs. The car speeds up just fine but idols rough. Once in a while the car stalls as i am going down the road or just sitting still, after it stalls it will start up again. The sensor is on the fire wall. Someone told me that this sensor does not usually go bad.

Last edited by GTO101; 11-16-06 at 12:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-06, 06:49 AM
This car is no longer on the road due to the fact that it is not safe to drive because the rear axle mounting braket rusted away from the frame.

Old 11-12-06, 02:40 PM
Group Moderator
Kind of academic now, I suppose. On an 18 year old car, I would not be surprised if the MAP sensor was bad.

Old 11-12-06, 04:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it was'nt for bad uick, you would'nt have any. First a relative blows the engine on an '88 Regal and now the frame gives way on an '88 Cutlass. Maybe it's time to move up to an '89.

Old 11-16-06, 12:11 PM
yeah i think it is time to move up some years, but for a teenager like me and my brother the cutlass was not a bad buy, but my dad bought this car for $250 and the buick for $400. if it were not for the cutlass we would not have this buick. We knew it would blow up, it just took time. amazingly the 88 buick still starts but shakes like hell.
But every ones likes to hear about what happened to their car!