98 ford taurus

Old 08-30-06, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
98 ford taurus

I have a couple of problems with the 98 ford taurus. I brought it in to a ford dealership and found out that I need a compressor assembly with cluth assembly and an ABS module so that they can detect what's wrong with the brakes. I was wondering if I can find the parts and fix it myself because it would be too expensive to get them to dix it for me. The est. comes to $2500. If yes, where is a good place for me to find it?

Also, I was wondering if anyone would know anything about this problem. My ABS controller light comes on once in awhile. And everytime I start my car, the brake pedal pulsates at low speed when braking. But when it reaches a certain speed limit (60km/hr) it stops. Does anyone know what might be the problem? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-06, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
First off I would find a good independent garage; that'll possibly save you about half right off the bat. Ask friends, neighbors, relatives for a referral. The compressor problem is more DIY than the brakes, although you'll need a shop to remove the refrigerant before you start and evacuate and charge when done. There are compressors on the market that will be WAY less expensive than the genuine Ford part the dealer would have stuck you for. You have to have the ABS module replaced so they can tell what's wrong with the brakes? Haven't heard that one before, but I admit to being a novice when it comes to ABS. I would drive to the nearest Auto Zone (or equivelant) and get a free scan to see what codes show up, then post back here what you find. Should be some ABS pro's along for bettter info.