Steering sticks while making a turn....

Old 08-31-06, 06:59 PM
Steering sticks while making a turn....

I have a 1980 Olds Cutlass Supreme RWD with the 260 V8. Sometimes while making a turn, the steering wheel will stick in a certain position and I have to use force to get it to unstick. As soon as it "unlocks" from that very position it is fine again. This makes it a little dangerous though.

I checked the power steering fluid and its at the proper level and the pump belt is not slipping. Is this a problem with the power steering pump, the steering gearbox or something else? Any adjustments I can make to the box? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-06, 07:22 PM
steering

first check the front end tie rods , ball joints, center link to see if there's any wear . also check the u-joints on the steering column. if that's ok. if thats o.k just change the gearbox because you can't adjust them

Old 09-01-06, 05:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Shortly after I bought my work van I ran into a steering problem that I just knew was a steering gear box problem. I later discovered [before replacing box] that security system wiring [had been disconnected] had wrapped itself around the connection at the top of the box putting the steering in a bind every time I turned 1 direction.

Do a thorough check of all steering componets as mepeee1 suggested. Hopefully the problem will be easy to find and remedy.