89 Tercel EZ: Locating the thermostat, and other reasons car might overheat

Old 09-01-06, 01:59 PM
Question 89 Tercel EZ: Locating the thermostat, and other reasons car might overheat

Hi,

I have a 1989 Toyota Tercel EZ. I am trying to stop it from overheating.

I know from the decals beneath the hood and the chilton guide that I have the 3E engine in the Fed/Canada configuration with no condensor fan, and I've already made sure the radiator fan's fuse is good and that there is enough coolant in the overflow tank.

Two questions: where is the thermostat located, and what other things might I need to check to stop it overheating?

THANKS!

Last edited by ImABeginner; 09-01-06 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added car type to title
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-06, 02:45 PM
The thermostat housing is at the end of the lower radiator hose. Before you start taking it apart let the engine run until it starts to overheat then feel the lower radiator hose, if it hot the thermostat is opening and the problem lies elswhere, if it is cold the thermostat is stuck closed. Go to your local autoparts(AutoZone,Advance, etc.) and get yourself a Haynes or Chilton manual(about $12.00) for your tercel then you can fix anything on it. The Haynes is manual #92085 and covers 87 thru 94. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 09-01-06, 03:14 PM
overheating madness (89 tercel)

Hi, and thanks for responding.

I let it run until the temperature gauge began to hit the red. When I checked the radiator hoses, the top one was hot, but the bottom wasn't.

I'm looking both at the Chilton guide and http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/78/04/0900823d801b7804.jsp, and I can't find a part that looks like this on either hose, so I'm wondering if the thermostat is someplace else in the car, or if the previous owner removed it.

Are there any other obvious things I should be checking? Is this something I can do myself, or should I take it to a shop for this?

EDIT: never mind, I'm an idiot. I didn't realize this bit was inside the housing.

Old 09-01-06, 03:32 PM
That means the thermostat is stuck, drain the collant, remove the bottom hose at the engine, if it gives you problems cut it off and replace it, you are now at the thermostat housing, disconnect electrical connectors at housing cover, remove nuts/bolts, tap housing with softfaced hammer,coolant will spill when seal is broken, note position of air bleed valve and how thermostat is installed. On reinstall make sure air bleed faces up and spring end is directed into the engine, this is roughly the procedure. Now go get the manual and do it right. Have a nice day. Geo

Search this Thread