Metal filler product?

Old 09-02-06, 10:17 AM
Lightbulb Metal filler product?

Someone backed into my car and punched a hole in the front of my hood. Including the accompanying dent and hole, its about six inches in circumference. My insurance deductible is $500, so I don't want to spend that much.

I am hoping there is somekind of "liquid metal" filler available that I can use to fill the whole thing in and sand and repaint it. Of course such a patch job would never look original but it would probably be good enough. The car is seven years old now anyway.

Does anyone know if such a product as liquid metal filler for small holes and dents is available? I can't find anything on the Internet.

Thanks in advance for any info and suggestions. I was thinking about taking it to Maaco, but they'd probably want to replace the whole hood. The hole itself is only about an inch and a half in diameter. Metal "caulk"?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-06, 08:04 PM
Try pounding back as much as you can. Braze new metal behind the hole. Fill the dent with bondo. The idea here is to prep the dent so you use as little bondo as possible to get the area back to its original shape.

Old 09-03-06, 04:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, the less bondo used the better. If you are unable to attach metal with a torch or mig, you can pop rivet it in place or use fiberglass matt instead of metal. Doesn't sound like a job that would be overly difficult to learn on.

Search this Thread