windshield wiper travel

Old 09-03-06, 01:04 PM
windshield wiper travel

Have an 89 Taurus. I am using what is supposedly the correct wiper blades, but the driver side blade is going too far on the up swing, hitting the molding at the top left corner. Is it possible to adjust the travel arc?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-06, 02:11 PM
nap
No, there isn't. There are a couple of things that could be a problem though.

First, although you have checked for the proper length of blade, check agaion to be sure and be sure what you purchased is what was supposed to be in the package. You wouldn't be the first person with something in the wrong box.

Next, when the wipers are turned of and parked, be sure the go down as far as they are supposed to. If somebody removed the arm and reinstalled it at the wrong clocking, it may be as simple as the entire sweep is too far up and the arm needs to be reset at the correct clocking.

The last thing I can think of is that as linkage wears, you get slop in the linkage and sometimes this allows things to go beyond they are designed to.

I would check the first two items initially.

Old 09-04-06, 09:58 AM
Look closely into the glass when the wipers are parked. There should be a small black line molded into the glass where the proper alignment of the blade is in park.

Old 10-07-06, 07:56 AM
I have the same problem but an old Honda. How do you check the "clocking" and change it if necessary?

Old 10-07-06, 12:11 PM
nap
forum ettiquette does dictate starting your very own thread. Next tiem it's best to not hijack anothers thread.

Anyway, as kklukas posted (and which I had forgotten about) many windshields have a line printed onto the windshield to align the wipers with when in the clocked position.

So with that in mind. simply run the wipers (on a wet windshield, they drag alot on dry and may not go completely down) turn them off, look to see if they line up with the line. If they need to be corrected, the arm would need to be removed and then re-installed in the correct postition. There are several different types of attaching the arm to the stub. Some have a not that holds the arm on (usually under a trim cover) some have a piece of metal that is on the bottom of the arm that when closed, is under part of the arm and retains the arm this way. Most wipers currently allow you to fold the arm so it sticks up into the air. This takes the pressure off the arm to stub fit and makes it easier to remove the arm.
Is there a line on you windshield?

Old 10-07-06, 04:00 PM
The windshield was replaced so I can't use that as a guide. They do lay almost horizontal, so I don't think the clocking is the problem. When I first turn them on, they work fine for the first 3-4 wipes, then wham they start hitting the vertical edge of the windshield. Any idea what else it could be?

ps Sorry -- I thought since it was the same subject, I should just add to the existing thread, not start a new one.

Old 10-07-06, 05:25 PM
nap
When they start hitting the edge, do they move their entire sweep over so that they don't go down as far as theyshould as well.

Do both sides do it equally?

If so, I would look to the arm(s) may be slipping on the stubs.

Haven't usually sen both do it but I suppose it would be possible.

You might try trying to move one of the arms (gently so as to not damage anything) . If it moves on the stub shaft, remove the arm to see if the splines on the shaft or the arm are worn out.

Old 10-07-06, 06:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
[QUOTE=nap]forum ettiquette does dictate starting your very own thread. Next tiem it's best to not hijack anothers thread.

Hijacking a thread is when someone starts a thread and another person asks a question totally different from the original poster. This other person is having the same problem so it's appropriate to post in this thread and not waste time and space on another new thread.

Old 10-07-06, 06:57 PM
nap
[QUOTE=HotinOKC]
Originally Posted by nap
forum ettiquette does dictate starting your very own thread. Next tiem it's best to not hijack anothers thread.

Hijacking a thread is when someone starts a thread and another person asks a question totally different from the original poster. This other person is having the same problem so it's appropriate to post in this thread and not waste time and space on another new thread.
and thanks for your useless input. Hijacking a thread, at least by every other persons definition I have heard but yours is subverting anothers thread for your own purpose regardless of the content. You can define it anyway you chose to. I did not make that big of deal about it and if you notice, even anwsered ramblemont's question.

There are reasons to start your own thread not limited to avoiding confusion when you have multiple posters asking similar questions and then giving supporting information that may be different than another "originators". The fact that this thread was already dead allowed that situation to be avoided. I have seen threads where multiple originators were being answered by different posters and there was mass confusion. When searching for a persons thread, it is also better to have started your own as it is simpler to search using the actual thread starters screen name.

So to your assumption:

No, it is not OK nor polite to hijack a thread and unless you are paying for the bandwidth, it should be of no concern of yours that each poster has their own thread. As well, I'm not sure where the waste of time would apply since typing is typing. The time difference is so minimal that unless you are getting paid as Bill Gates is, that little bit of time is inconsequential.

Old 10-08-06, 08:07 AM
That person has the exact same problem as the original poster. Have you ever heard of knocking out two birds with one stone? Well, here's a prime example. And I'm pretty sure the moderator didn't have any problems with that person chiming in with the same issue. Let the mods inform members of a possible hijacked thread. Thats why they are there.

Old 10-08-06, 09:38 AM
Thanks for your suggestion, nap. It only happens on drivers side. It does not seem to be loose on the stem. At rest, they lay about 2.5 inches above the bottom of the windshield. I think I will try to move them closer. It won't solve the problem, but may save the scratches on my vertical molding. Do I just unscrew the nut holding the wiper to the stem and re-position it? Unless there is another idea I can try?

Old 10-08-06, 11:31 AM
nap
If youhave a nut on the stem (stub), remove that nut. Then if your WW will do it, lay it back so it does not rest on the windshiel. Many wipers currently will stay in this position. If so, great, if not, you will need to hold it up but apply pressure on the base of the arm so there is no angle pressure on the stem.

Then all it usually takes is a bit of wiggling back and forth while pulling straight upward to get it off. I do believe there is a puller available for this but I have never had to resort to using one.

Then simply reverse the process placing the wiper in the correct position.

While you have the arm off, look at the splines within the arm and on the stem. If the arm became loose, these splines may be worn off. Then it becomes time to replace the stem (something most folks don't want to do) and the arm. If this is the case, I would try just being sure the nut is as tight as I could get it WITHOUT stripping or breaking anything. If this still fails, I would get some LocTite stud and bearing mount and apply that to the stem after removing the arm and then reinstalling. It will fill into any small splines still left and hopefully keep it tight.

If you have to remove the arm again after that, it will be a much more difficult endevour.

Some linkages do become worn and allow slop that allows the wiper to move further than designed. If this is the case, not too much you can do about it short of replacing the parts guilty.

and to hotinOKC, if the mods have a problem with me trying to help them, let them tell me. Currently you seem to be the kettle calling the pot black.

Old 10-08-06, 11:44 AM
lol, we gonna start using idioms now...