96 Jeep GC electrically dead

Old 09-06-06, 07:01 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
96 Jeep GC electrically dead

My wife's Grand Cherokee was dead when she tried to start it last night. The only things that (electronically) works are the keyless entry, the interior lighting, emergency flashers, power seats and headlights (manually switched on).

No parking/running lights, turn signals, radio, internal display systems, windows, temp. control system, ignition.

I've checked all the fuses under the hood and they all look okay. Only thing I can guess at to affect so many systems is a relay labled Automatic Shutdown System (ASD).

Any other thoughts? (They will be much appreciated!)

Old 09-06-06, 12:13 PM
B
suggest you check the fuses again and dont forget that there is usually a fuse box under the hood and one inside the vehicle check both, would also look at the wiring near the positive cable to see if you notice anything that has been damaged.
if you have a test light or voltmeter you should be using it to check the fuses as this will also tell you if the fuse box is getting power with the key on with the exception of a few fuses like headlamps, instrument lamps, most all should have power either all the time or when the ignition is turned to the on position.
the asd relay has nothing to do with the radio and lights etc dont really think it has anything to do with your problem.

Old 09-06-06, 06:30 PM
I
Originally Posted by bejay
most all should have power either all the time or when the ignition is turned to the on position.
I'm stumped. I believe it's either the key / key wiring or the computer that is not relaying signals to the proper subsystems. Nothing that requires the key operates at all.

I gave up and had it towed to the dealership. If it's anything 'interesting' I'll post what the problem turned out to be. Nothing I knew how to deal with, though.

Old 09-06-06, 06:58 PM
D
igntion switch?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: