2001 Mustang Stuck in flood won't start/Water in Engine

Old 09-05-06, 01:39 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2001 Mustang Stuck in flood won't start/Water in Engine

HELP!! I'm a female so lets keep it as simple as possible. I got stuck ina flash flood last night and now my car won't start. Water was halfway up the wheel well and the fuse box looks like it got wet also, what do i need to check and if i leave it alone will it start ina few days?

Old 09-05-06, 02:04 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I guess my first question is how wet did the interior get? If it got any water inside, you need to dry it completely, and as soon as possible. This includes pulling up the carpeting and any porous underlayment. Failure to do so will result in mildew and a musty smell which you will never get rid of.
Second, was the car running and you drove into high water or was it sitting and the water came up around it? You may be lucky and it will start when dry, or the water splash could have shorted the alternator and/or caused other shorts which blew fuses. If it does start when dried out, I would still get the oil changed A.S.A.P. and also have the underside of the car cleaned to remove dirt and other debris.

Old 09-05-06, 03:09 PM
K
Exclamation Water...

Well wet enough for my air filter to be wet. The inside drivers side has some small puddles i cleaned that out, no watyer on passengar side. I was driving down a side rode and got stuck in the water and the car shut off.

Old 09-05-06, 05:16 PM
M
does it even turn?

Water down the intake will cause serious damage from a hydrolock condition.
Water will not compress.
Pull the spark plugs and try to turn it over water might squirt out of the holes.
If it has water inside the engine you will need to get it out.
Oil change is required if it has gotten to that point.
I have destroyed an engine in my younger stupid days by trying to push start the engine full of water.

Old 09-06-06, 05:00 AM
K
Doesn't Turn

No it doesn't even turn,it does nothing. I'll try taking the spark plugs out.

Old 09-06-06, 07:29 AM
K
Exclamation Water in engine

if there is water in my engine how would I tell and how would I go about getting it out? The air filter is wet, and I took it out to dry, I have not tried to start the car in about 24 hours. Yesterday morning it wasn't turning. There doens't seem to be any water in the oil or nay other fluids.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 09-06-06 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Merged thread
Old 09-06-06, 10:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Originally Posted by keara
Yesterday morning it wasn't turning.

As in the starter won't turn the engine?

As long is there isn't any water in the oil you should be fine. Moisture can affect the different elec componets but they should be ok once dry.

Old 09-06-06, 10:58 AM
K
Question Water

There doesn't seem to be any water in the oil, it doesn't look milky. The battery is comepletely drained though. When i turn the ignition it clicks and thats it, not a blessed thing happens.

Old 09-06-06, 12:02 PM
B
would suggest you see a shop and have it checked out water in the engine could cause it to just click if it has water in a few cylinders the engine will lock up and not allow the engine to turn over.
the other possibles is battery may be dead or have another electrical problem

Old 09-06-06, 01:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Originally Posted by keara
The battery is comepletely drained though

Do you mean there is no electrolite/water in the battery? A dry battery won't work.

Old 09-06-06, 01:55 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I think the drain is as in discharged. With all the water under the hood a number of things could have pulled the battery down, including the water on the battery itself.
Get the battery charged and/or get someone to try to jump start the car.

Old 09-06-06, 02:14 PM
M
get a charge

Get a charge or a jump but first remove plugs before you try to start it.(it will at least verify if the no turn condition is caused by water in the cylinders. With plugs out starter will spin engine.
Water will squirt out also.If you find water in there you might try a shop vac with a hose to try and get it out a small hose jury rigged to the big hose.
The air filter being wet is an indication water got up there but how much no one knows.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: