toyota starter contacts, quick ?

Old 09-08-06, 07:32 AM
Wink toyota starter contacts, quick ?

Hey guys
found my answers in your archives. When I remove the starter will contact wear be evident and visible once I expose them?? Or do I just replace them? 97 corolla

Thanks
Rob

"Good advise about the contacts (they are available from Toyota). It is a very common problem and a contact repaired starter is most likely better than most of the rebuilds you buy. I would recommend replacing with a genuine Toyota reman, they are of a great quality if you want to replace it."

The starter is only accessible from the bottom."

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-06, 02:14 PM
Group Moderator
Once you expose them the wear will be quite visible on both the contacts (2) and the plunger that makes the circuit. Replace the contacts and the plunger.

Old 09-08-06, 03:51 PM
Wink thanks tow guy!!

Now that I know what I am up against, should go smooth. Thanks for all your help past and present.

Old 09-08-06, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
I can't take full credit. When the starter crapped on the wife's former Camry ('95), I mentioned in passing while dropping a car at one of our regular customer garages that I had my project for Saturday morning sitting in the truck - replacement starter for the spousal unit's Camry. One of the garage owners said, hey don't replace it and proceded to describe the ease and relative low cost of just doing the contacts and plunger. They said, and I know this from decades of Toyota ownership, that the Toy starters NEVER go bad; all they do is wear out the contacts. Think I paid about $20 for parts, but that was through an independent starter & alternator shop (that we also tow for). Good luck with it.

Old 09-13-06, 03:45 PM
Wink contacts very worn

Hey tow guy

Got sick of the click click click and pulled the starter. Contacts shot. I actually had this problem first show up over 20,000 miles ago. 2 1/2 years. It seams like anything you do to improve the circuit like clean and tighten terminals, connections, etc, delays the inevitable with the extra juice, which can make the diagnostic confusing.

Hey, wherever you got your info counts. We all have to learn what we learn, somewhere, sometime. thanks again Rob

Old 09-14-06, 04:52 AM
Group Moderator
The difference is that my wife primarily drives the car and about the second time it happened to her she said, "you gonna fix this thing or what?!?!?!?"

Old 09-15-06, 03:24 AM
The starter is accessable from the top if you remove the air cleaner and the intake. lol. Get a reman and save yourself wasted time and money. If you don't want a reman, go to the local cash and carry and get a good starter off a wrecked yota. Action auto parts has a website and they give a 6mth. warranty on all there parts , which are oem, tested and half the price. Good luck

Old 09-15-06, 02:35 PM
Wink done deal

Worked out well. Not a hard fix. The starter shop guy confirmed the contacts were beyond the point of trouble. plunger was in good shape from his experience and showed minimal wear.

The individual contacts can be had for $6 a piece online + shipping but when your cars up and out the $25 for the set on the spot is the way to go.
Got solid start and back on the road
thanks
rob

Old 09-15-06, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
Good job, dude. After learning about this fix, I frequently pass it along. IMHO the original starter with new contacts will outlive any replacement starter you can buy from a parts store. I have never had a Toyota starter fail [other than as noted for the contacts] and I've been driving Toys for almost 30 years.

Old 09-22-06, 06:14 AM
Sorry to bring this up! Working on this right now!!

i have 97 camry 2.2
Uhmm...this sounds ridiculous, and someone will say I shouldn't be posting here. .. but I'm a quick learner Where exactly is the starter? I saw 2 ways to get to it...taking off the air intake...and the other from the bottom. Which will be easier...I am actually trying to do this right now!!!

This is the 2nd place I've seen where the suggestion is to replace the contacts...I've had the bat checked and changed the alt.-per AA
I get click click click...however when I try to jump it, occassionally it will try to turn over...Car has been down 2 wks!! AAAARRRGGGGHHHHH

Old 09-22-06, 03:04 PM
Group Moderator
From the top. If you go to www.autozone.com you should be able to find the procedure.