Bad paint job or not? Any way to fix it?

Old 09-08-06, 01:17 PM
Question Bad paint job or not? Any way to fix it?

My dad painted my 93 nissan sentra with his own paint gun in his huge garage. He painted it with a metalic paint and used a primer/sealer that was especialy for that paint. He shot 4 to 5 coats of paint over the whole car. The top (the roof), the hood and top of trunk look great. But the driver's and passenger sides look pretty bad. Looks like a streak of paint then no paint then paint again. I asked my dad about it and he said it was overspray and to use fine sand paper on it to smooth it out. After sanding the bad spots. We used rubbing compound and then washed it off and the spots looked even worse. We buffed and polished the whole car. The spots are still there. I even used scratch remover and waxed my car after 3 months and the spots are still there and don't look any better. But in my opinion looks worse. Any way to fix it or treat the paint to make it look better or do I have to get the sides that look bad repainted or one more coat on them? Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-06, 06:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does your dad have a bad back like me? He may not have sprayed enough paint on the sides. I like to set a car up on jack stands so I don't have to bend so low.

Since wet sanding didn't fix the sides I'm inclined to believe they just didn't get enough paint. ALL the wax will need to be removed before repainting. If you just paint the sides make sure the top is covered/masked to prevent overspray on it.