2000 Altima Vibration

Old 09-08-06, 03:42 PM
Angry 2000 Altima Vibration

I am having a terrible experience with my altima. My car vibrates a lot when idling under a traffic light or a complete stop while on "D". It's so noticeable that my hood vibrates along with my passenger front seat. What could cause this? I've gotten a tune-up, changed all brakes but still the vibration is felt. Could it be my motor mounts? Thank you for all replies

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-06, 06:40 PM
Altima

David:

Did you do a complete tuneup with plugs, wires and cap/rotor?

Then I would look for vacuum leaks. You can check engine vacuum with a fairly inexpensive gauge (or borrow one). It should be about 21lbs at idle.

The next possibility could be a weak cylinder (valve problem). I would do a compression check to see if something shows up.

After that I would check emissions control devices.

There are a lot of other possibilities, but this should get you started.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 09-08-06, 07:48 PM
Thumbs up 2000 altima vibration

Thanks for responding Bob. I did change the plugs, wires and cap/rotor but that didn't resolve anything. I, on the other hand, never checked engine vaccuum. If indeed at fault, how do I set it back to 21lbs? I'll also check if I have a weak cylinder. I'll let you know how it turned out. Thanks again for replying.

David

Old 09-08-06, 08:41 PM
David:

The engine vacuum isn't something you would set. It's more of a health of engine indicator. Certain vacuum readings would indicate different things that could be wrong. For instance a fluctuating vaccum reading could indicate a leaking intake valve.

Let us know how you come out,

Bob

Old 09-09-06, 04:26 AM
Group Moderator
Just curious, but are the idle RPM's lower than usual or is it idling up at where you would expect to see it? If the idle speed is real low it will sometimes cause more engine shake.