1988 cavalier shifting problems

Old 09-09-06, 12:58 PM
1988 cavalier shifting problems

car has a 2.8 V-6...5-speed manual trans...sometimes the car doesnt want to shift properly..going into first and second can be a real pain..reverse is unattainable when it is shifting hard...next time i drive it it shifts normal..even into reverse....has a hydraulic clutch..i dont know much about those...clutch pedal doesnt come all the way to top...ever...if you have any knowledge of this please help me out...thx

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-06, 01:49 PM
Try pumping the clutch the next time it doesn't want to go into gear, the clutch cylinder could be going bad or is low on fluid. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 09-09-06, 07:40 PM
You have a hydraulic problem...........Stick your head under the dash and look where the clutch rod goes through the firewall..........A fluid trail there indicates a bad master cyl.......

Old 09-10-06, 07:06 AM
88 cavalier shifting prob

the fluid isnt leaking...i tried bleeding the system to get the air out but to no avail....my manual on one page says there is no adj on clutch...next page says to adjust pedal if pedal doesnt come all the way back up...i didnt see any adjustment that i can do on the car...i should probably change the clutch master cyl i guess...

Old 09-10-06, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
Could also be the slave cylinder.

Old 09-11-06, 05:06 AM
my 2 cents

Sounds like a master Cyl or slave Cyl to me. If I were you I would replace both because from past experience if you replace one a few months later the other will go out.
Also the cost of a slave Cyl is pretty low.The problem is I dont know if your slave Cyl is inside the housing or outside Like it should be.
If inside it can be a real pain to replace outside is easy.