car exterior paint

Old 09-09-06, 07:23 PM
car exterior paint

I have 1999 RAV4 and the I scratched the paint on the car when I was moving a ladder. It seems like scratch is not deep. I don't see the metal body of the car so I assume I only scrath top layer of the paint but not the inner layer (correct me if I am wrong.) I want to buy a can spray paint in AutoZone to paint over the scratch, but I don't know if I should that. I don't want to make it look worse. Any Suggestion?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-06, 05:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Touching up car paint with a spray can isn't as easy as it sounds. If you just spray the affected area the odds are that if will show worse. For best results you need to wet sand a section and paint it complete. It doesn't have to be a full panel but from style line to style line - anywhere that the line of sight can be ended.

Since you didn't scratch all the way thru the paint I would suggest trying to buff it out.

Old 09-10-06, 12:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yea, definetly try and buff it out first. I would never recommend spray painting it. You could also just get some Dupli_Color from your local auto store that matches up with your paint code.

Old 09-15-06, 05:20 AM
Go to your local Dealership and drop by the detail department. Talk with the manager of the detail shop and he'll look at the scratch and advise you on the buffing procedure. He has the different cuts and buffing agents and may do it for you for free or next to nothing. That is a solution you won't have to be nervous about. They deal with scratches for a living. Spray painting should be your last leap.

Old 09-15-06, 05:49 AM
If u live in Central pa my dad or I could do it! LOL We have been detailing cars on the side for about 15 yrs. Find someone that is good at using a high speed buffer and vwalla!! No scratch. If you can see white in the scratch chances are you won't get it out! If anything you can buff it out but it may come back!! GOOD LUCK