Buick regal '95 High Temp & Door Lock issues

Old 09-10-06, 03:50 PM
Question Buick regal '95 High Temp & Door Lock issues

Hi, i have 2 probs with my "new" car

1. Sometimes, the temperature raise quickly up to the red zone and its independant to the exterior temperature and also independant to the engine speed or driving. To get the temp back to its normal state, what i have to do is to stop the engine or make the engine to run at atleast 4500RPM in gear or nutral and i see the temp dropping in like 10sec. What can cause that? temp sensor? water pump?

2. My electrical door locks now works 1 out of 100 times. When i hit the lock button on the driver door, i hear/see the selenoid moving in the driver door but it moves only like 1/16in, not enough to move the lock itself. I cant hear the 3 other doors sel. The passenger button do the same thing, only the driver selenoid move. Something strange happend to all 4 selenoids, when i hit the lock button and test the voltage, there is 12v on both wires!! It should be one wire 12v and the other is the ground right ??

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-06, 08:04 PM
Did you check antifreeze level? Is the thermostat opening?The water pump might be worn out and not circulating enough antifreeze.

Old 09-10-06, 08:24 PM
You didn't say as to if you just purchased the auto or not, it sounds like it has been in the water. For the temp when it registers hot raise the hood and check the overflow tank or take it to your local Advance/Autozone place, they will tell you if it is overheating. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 09-10-06, 08:27 PM
Sorry, just did a re-read, you did just purchase it. I think you will find it to be a water car. sorry. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 09-10-06, 09:00 PM
Update: i noticed that when the engine temp starts to raise, the temp of my heater fall. When i raise the RPM, it tooks few secs and the engine temp drops and the heat in my heater comes back. Looks like a defect thermostat... the reading of the thermostat differ depending on the RPM of the engine.. weird

Btw, all fluids are at correct level.

Old 09-11-06, 06:42 AM
Although possible, it is not commonplace for a water pump to quit circulating water. Usually a water pump failure is a bearing or seal issue. Since your coolant is at the proper level, and assuming that you do not see oil or rusty sludge in your radiator, I would probably replace the thermostat, as they are inexpensive (if you do it yourself). Have you driven the car enough to verify that you are not loosing coolant? Is your radiator cap in good condition? This is another inexpensive item which can help alleviate overheating problems.

Old 09-12-06, 03:57 AM
Originally Posted by thiggy
Although possible, it is not commonplace for a water pump to quit circulating water. Usually a water pump failure is a bearing or seal issue. Since your coolant is at the proper level, and assuming that you do not see oil or rusty sludge in your radiator, I would probably replace the thermostat, as they are inexpensive (if you do it yourself). Have you driven the car enough to verify that you are not loosing coolant? Is your radiator cap in good condition? This is another inexpensive item which can help alleviate overheating problems.
No i do not loose coolant. I purchased a new thermostat and ill install it today. Which other part can cause the coolant to stop circulate ?

Old 09-12-06, 01:24 PM
Did you check to see if the fan is coming on when you start overheating? Could be a relay. If not get it fixed by a pro cause you'll cook the engine.

Old 09-15-06, 04:08 AM
Replace your water pump and thermostat, You'll want to replace your timing belt while your at it. Door locks sound like a relay