1991 Mercury Grand Marquis Starting Problems

Old 09-10-06, 10:09 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1991 Mercury Grand Marquis Starting Problems

well,
my car wont start. to be blunt. the battery is brand new, and i replaced both solenoids, i checked all my grounds, and my wires for shorts. still no luck. if it sits for any length of time, it starts without a problem, but then goes back to the solenoid(the top one mounted to the frame) just clicking, and the car not starting. im entirely stumped on what to look for next.

Old 09-10-06, 12:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Have you checked your actual starter?

Last edited by DIYaddict; 09-10-06 at 01:55 PM. Reason: removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post that's directly above yours
Old 09-12-06, 09:50 PM
L
yeah,
i had it tested, but come to find out, the brushes in it were no good, so i have to replace it. it was working fine up until i had this recent problem. the problem first started when my top solenoid went out, and it wouldnt start. so i changed that, and had no problems for about a week. then, the starter solenoid went out, i changed that, and i had no problems for about another week. after replacing both of those, my car would start, but only after it sat for a while and the starter would cool off. the brushes were heating up, and it wouldnt fire up after it had gotten hot.

Old 09-15-06, 04:24 AM
C
check your wiring for a dead short. The alternator is a good place to start. Pull it and take it to autozone or advance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: