92 caravan wheels

Old 09-12-06, 12:43 PM
92 caravan wheels

I have a 92 dodge caravan 3.3 and i have two stripped wheel studs front driver side are they hard to replace and do i need any special tools?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-06, 03:47 PM
They shouldn't be too hard to replace. They are presed in to the hub flange. You should be able to pound out the bad ones and press in new ones. You may have to turn the hub to a certain spot so the studs can be removed and new ones put in. The new ones can be installed by stacking washers and torqueing down using a wheel nut, or by doing it with the wheel rim installed and overtorqueing until the wheel bolt head is seated.

It it critical to seat the new wheel bolt to prevent loss of clamp load, which may result in a wheel-off.

Old 09-13-06, 03:17 AM
Do NOT use the wheel rim to overtorque and pull the wheel stud in....good chance you may warp the wheel or break it if aluminum. You can however use the washer method to pull the wheel stud into place. The correct procedure is to remove the hub and press the stud in otherwise you won't know if you've overtorqued the stud while installing.