Should I buy this truck?

Old 09-13-06, 04:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Should I buy this truck?

Hello!

I have an opportunity to buy a truck for the cost of repairs at the shop. Here's what I know:

The truck is a 1992 chevy diesel 6.5 liter one ton dually, single cab. The truck was taken to the shop because it wouldn't start without ether. Supposedly, the shop did a lot of work, replacing glow plugs, glow plug controller, starter, and other things. Prior to being taken to the shop, it had the bottom end rebuilt and a piston replaced. They said the owner did the rebuild, and replaced the piston from the bottom, never removing the head. This would mean it wasn't honed.

The shop got the truck started, but then air was bubbling out of the radiator. The shop told the owner that either it has a blown head gasket, cracked head, or block. The owner said he didn't want to put anymore money into it and didn't get it checked. So, it has been sitting at the shop for around 2 years. It has new tires, and had new batteries, but the batts are probably bad by now. The body is described to be in decent shape, but needs a paint job.

This could be a deal, or it could be a money pit. I would really like to get a 1ton diesel for work. It would cost me around $1700. If it's a real chance that it just needs a head gasket, I could come out pretty good on this. What are your opinions on this? I am a mechanic, and can do the work myself unless there are special tools needed. I don't have special tools for the 6.5.

Here's another option: (and sorry for being so long-winded)...I understand a 6.2 will bolt right in place of a 6.5. I have 2 6.2 engines in old trucks that I could use. They aren't turbo like the 6.5. They both are connected to automatic trannies, but this truck is standard (5 speed). Will the flywheels interchange between the 2 engines? Is this swap feasable if the 6.5 turns out to be bad?

The truck is about 3 hours away, and I plan to take my trailer there tomorrow and try to make a decision.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts you may have!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-06, 04:19 AM
It's a big gamble friend. Too many hands have been in it from my experience. My guess is you are buying it from the shop. Word to the wise. If you are buying it from the shop, why didn't they repair it and sell it themselves? If it's the head, or worse, the head and pistons or damaged crank or cylinder wall you are in it deep. I would opt out man. Save a little more, go to a local auction and get a good truck. Before you go to an auction get carfax unlimited for a month for $30.00 . Go to the auction with your cell phone and call the vin numbers in to your wife or significant other who can enter them over the net and give you the low down so you don't break down.

Old 09-16-06, 03:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks. I did opt out after thinking it over awhile. The 6.5 is not among the best engines out there anyway, and if a head gasket fixed it, I still don't think I'd feel confident in the truck. I think I'll keep looking for a dodge with the cummins.