Ford Winstar ABS Light

Old 09-14-06, 10:05 AM
Ford Winstar ABS Light

My impression of ABS systems it that if the light on the dash is on you do not have abs braking. My Mom has the abs light on her dash. She took it to the dealer and they say they don't know what the problem is. I find it hard to believe that the dealer can't find the problemThey also say she has abs braking. I think that it happens only in the summer. My question now is, does the abs system work with the light on?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-06, 10:53 AM
I'm also surprised the dealer can't find the problem. To answer your question; if the ABS light is on, normally the system has detected a fault....the brakes will work fine but will not have the benefit of anti-lock. The dealer (or at least one that knows what to do) should be able to extract any code the system generated. If there are no codes present then there is a possibility the circuit (via a "short") is picking up power to illuminate the bulb.

Old 09-14-06, 11:13 AM
A small shop may not be able to find the problem but the dealer should not tell someone they don't know what the problem is. The light is on for a reason and they need to find out why. It could be a bad wire, connection, etc. but to me, "I don't know" is not an answer the dealer should give. I am going to tell her to take it back. If I understand what she said, in the winter or summer (I don't remember which way it is) the light is on, the other season it's off. They should be able to find out what it is when the light is on. I can understand that with no light it would be hard to find a problem. Any ideas why the temp could effect the light?
Thanks

Old 09-15-06, 03:07 AM
Anyone who has worked at a dealership is well versed in I don't know. We simply don't have the vehicle long enough to know. We hook the vehicle up to the computer and read code. We clear the codes , run diagnostics and if there is a registered problem we fix it. Clearing of the code is so the customer can drive the vehicle like normal and come back if the light comes back on. There are many reasons the light could be on. If the dealer said ,"I don't know," They don't. They are more than happy to take your money if they do know , or think they do. Check your booster line. If the hose clamp to the booster or intake manifold is loose tighten or replace it. If you recently had your brakes done , return to the place of business. If you haven't , have your brakes replaced.

Old 09-15-06, 03:44 AM
I'm sorry but I cannot buy that answer....if a code is present there are specific steps to take to check out the related sensors and connections. Occasionally a code has to be cleared and the vehicle driven until the code re-appears but this is also a major inconvenience to the customer. I've never had (yet) the occasion to be forced to clear a code and the vehicle driven until the code comes back....most knowledgable dealers/shops are familiar enough with the problems to know what to look at. Most dealers are more than happy to take your money....whether they find the problem or not. Doesn't seem to bother the majority of them (at least in the Balto/Washington area) if you have to come back...again....and again....and again, etc, etc.

Old 09-15-06, 04:29 AM
Weeellll, if your competent washington dealer checked your vehicle's computer signal and did the standard troubleshooting and found no problem the standard procedure is to clear the codes and see if it returns with the original code and any of its buddies. So buy it or not the answer is free and leaves you no worse than when you started.

Search this Thread