Wrangler tire noise

Old 09-14-06, 01:11 PM
M W
Wrangler tire noise

Have a 93 Wrangler with 31 inch tires. I have had it for about a year, but only drive it on vacation (tow behind) and every once and a while take it to baseball practice. In th past month, I have noticed a very very loud tire "whirring" that was not there before. Obviously it is not a quiet ride, nor has it ever been, but this is a higher pitched tire noise and is only coming from the driver front. No other tires makes THAT noise. I thought maybe it was under-inflated, nope. Tread looks like it does on every other tire. What else could it be? Maybe it threw a weight? I dunno. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-06, 02:11 PM
Are you sure it's not a belt? Or even a wheel bearing?

A "Whirring" sound can be translated to many different types of noises on the interent hehe.

Last edited by 4th and 1; 09-14-06 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-14-06, 02:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it is more of a roar it could be a bad wheel bearing.

Old 09-14-06, 08:09 PM
M W
I'll try

Rotating the tires this weekend and see if the noise follows that tire. I did not mention that sometimes at certain speeds it does not "whir." But it soon does. It is so loud that I can actually hear my wife driving in from a mile away.

Old 09-15-06, 02:45 AM
I'd like to help but I don't know what a whirring noise sounds like. If there is no weight that may be your answer. I would check my wheel bearings. Jack up the vehicle and grab the top and bottom of the tire. Try to move it back and forth. Then grab the sides and try to move it side to side. You should have no movement either way. If you've done any work recently it could be a mud flap or skid guard

Old 09-15-06, 12:16 PM
M W
Best I can describe the noise

It sounds like a loud off road tire. Like I say, they were "loud" before due to the nature of the Wrangler and off road tires. But now, the one tire, is louder, a lot louder.
Again, I realize I cannot get close to describing it...I will try what has been suggested.
Thanks

Old 09-15-06, 05:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it is on the front, check the lock out hub and axle why you have it jacked up.