Mazda 626 1996 dash gauges and lights going crazy

Old 09-15-06, 09:13 PM
Mazda 626 1996 dash gauges and lights going crazy

Hello,

I was driving in the highway in me 626 2.5 v6 96 manual mazda, and all of a sudden my gauges started going crazy, i stopped the car it wouldn't start. I separated the positive from the battery waited a little bit, started again it did start, but after driving a little bit the same thing happened but this time a little worse. All the dash lights like ABS Air bag would turn on, the RPM gauge flipped all the way around. What do you think is wrong? I should note that after starting the car lately there is an extra noise for about 3 seconds, don't know if that is related to this. sorry about the long message.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-06, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
I would get to a garage and have the charging system checked. Weird electrical/electronic problems can be a sign of alternator failing. The extra noise could be several things such as starter not disengaging from flywheel or a problem with one of the accessories. If it makes the noise every start, have the mechanic listen to it when you go for the charging system check. Considering it is in conjunction with the other problem, the alternator would be a prime suspect.

Old 09-16-06, 09:00 AM
I agree with The Tow Guy....
but you could check here...
http://70.85.90.149/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74
and here...
http://www.mazda626.net/

Old 09-16-06, 09:26 AM
How to replace the alternator

Thank you very much for the replies, I was wondering if you could give me some pointers on how to remove the alternator to get it tested, cause it is not really accessible.
Thanks again

Old 09-16-06, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Any decent garage can do a test on the system without having to yank out the alternator, which looks like a real fun job:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/15/6d/37/0900823d80156d37.jsp

Old 09-17-06, 06:47 AM
Alternator tested and thanks

Hello tow guy,
Thanks for the pointers, but while you were replying I took the alternator out, and this morning I got it tested, and I was told its ok. Now is it possible that the alternator could fail only sometimes and not at all times, when it is going bad?
And also do you recommend me testing anything else for the next step????
by the way thanks for all the help so far.