waterpump

Old 09-16-06, 08:01 PM
Angry waterpump

how to change waterpump on a 1987 nissan maxima, also diagram of where it is located

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-06, 09:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
First, welcome to the forum. Check www.autozone.com for a diagram and instructions. I can tell you it will require draining antifreeze, and removing the V belts to get to the water pump. Usually there is little room to work which makes a good tool set a necessity.

Old 09-17-06, 03:28 AM
Do the Timing belt too while you there.

If you are not handy around tools and don't have a good set plus Mechanical background, this job may not for you.

Old 09-17-06, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by lovelylady50
how to change waterpump on a 1987 nissan maxima, also diagram of where it is located
oooh, love a lady mechanic. You'll need to jack it up , remove the wheel and underskirt, drain the radiator, remove valve, put a jack and a block of wood under the engine, remove the motor mount, jack the motor a bit and remove the timing cover. Now you remove the belt and tensioner and your at the water pump. remove the water pump and installation is the reverse of removal. Still want to do all this? If you do, purchase the manual from advance auto for your vehicle for $12.00 and it gives you step by step instructions and even some handy photos along with information you will definitely need to know. I also recommend replacing the thermostat with your new pump. Since your doing the timing belt you may as well replace your cap , rotor, wires and plugs. I would also change my fuel filter which is also under the hood. Any time I have to do a water pump on a front wheel drive I recommend the full tune up. Saves you money and me time.

Search this Thread