overfilled tranny fluid

Old 09-17-06, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
overfilled tranny fluid

I recently bought a used 2000 Hyundai Elantra. The check engine light was on before I bought it, so I took it to AutoZone and had the codes read. One came back as the transmission temperature sensor. I checked tranny fluid and found out it was very over-full. I drained about a quart of excess fluid. My question is: could the fluid level have caused the check engine light to come on? If so, is it likely that the light will it go off now that the fluid level is right? What are some problems associated with too much fluid? By the way, the car had been running great even when it was too full of fluid. Thanks!

Pecos

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-06, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
a build up of pressure can cause several seals to wear prematurely. It can also cause shift problems as well as overheating. The overheating is caused by the cooling time vs. fluid capacity ratio. The engineers mandate a certain cooling system for a certain amount of fluid. Too much fluid and your cooling system can't cool enough fluid fast enough. Disconnect your negative cable for a few minutes. Reconnect and see if it goes away.