94 Taurus, turn signals, brake lamps & cruise control out

Old 09-17-06, 04:01 PM
Lightbulb 94 Taurus, turn signals, brake lamps & cruise control out

When I try to use my turn signals in my 94 Ford Taurus I get a really fast clicking sound and the lights up front (back-ups?) flash really fast too. There are no working signals in the rear when I use my turn signals. My rear bake lights and cruise control also stopped working at the same time.

All of the items that stopped working are on the same curcuit according to the owner's manuel. The fuse that runs that curcuit was OK, and replacing it didn't help.

What should I check next? Could this be a problem with the flasher (I don't really know what that is)?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-06, 04:04 PM
did you purchase this vehicle second hand?
did you add a strobe mechanism to your lights?
have you recently installed a stereo system?
You have to be as in depth as you can be when it comes to detail here.

Old 09-17-06, 06:29 PM
Do the winshield wipers work?????...............All of these items run through the multi function switch in the steering column....90% probability.........Welcome to the "Wonderful World of Ford"

Old 09-18-06, 07:47 AM
Ditto what wrench47 said.

Old 09-18-06, 08:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I assume that you checked the rear bulbs. The fast flash part of your thread is classic burned out bulb syndrome. It's also possible that it could affect the cruise because part of the cruise senses when you step on the brakes.

Old 09-18-06, 01:57 PM
Smile

Consult-JB:
My family purchased the vehicle second hand from a dealer about 8 years ago.

I did not add a stobe mechanism or a stereo.

wrench47:
The windsheild wipers do work. I will test the rest of the functions on the multifuntion switch (lights to brights, spray, etc...) and post again. I would like to point out that the my cruise control doesn't have any physical controls on the multifinction switch. The controls are built into the stearing wheel.

I did read something about the multifunction switch going out on a Taurus on the net and it sounded similar to my problem.

goldstar:
I did not check my rear bulbs. I'll try to do that, but wouldn't it be odd for both of the bulbs (left and right side) to go out at the same time? Will I be able to see that a bulb is burned out? (Will I be able to see that filament is broken?)

Old 09-18-06, 04:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
May be odd but it can happen. Usually one goes and you don't realize it until the second one, and the cruise drop out.
The bulbs may be as old as the car, and a bump such as a pot hole or going over a curb could break the weakened filaments.
If the glass on the bulb is clear, and you can see the broken filament, it was broken by something which jarred it. If the glass is darkened, the filament went out while lit.

Old 09-18-06, 05:33 PM
MultiFunction Switch

A little trick to quick diagnose this is to have someone step on the brake pedal, Look at the brake lights.. If the high mount brake light works (third brake in window.) but the other's don't most likely it is the multifunction switch... The 3rd brake light does not run through the switch, electrically.. It has it's own circuit after leaving the break pedal switch...

Old 09-19-06, 08:25 AM
Thanks a lot guys (and/or girls).

Goldstar:
I will check the lights by this weekend and replace them if they seem to have gone out. Thanks for the tip to see if they are blown out.

msargent:
The high, middle brake light does work, suggesting that it's not the entire circuit that's out. According to you this points at the multifunction switch. If the lights aren't blown out should I start hunting down a new multifunction switch at a junkyard? Is there a good autoparts website where I could get it online? What about Autozone?

Old 09-19-06, 09:32 AM
Spring for NEW multifunction switch. Big gamble with a junkyard one. Obviously,Taurus's are prone to failure.

98' Taurus 24V Replaced mine couple months back.

Old 10-07-06, 01:45 PM
Thumbs up

I wanted to post because I resolved my issue.

Both turn signal bulbs were blown in the back and replacing them soved the problem, including the issues with the cruise control and the brake lights.

It's highly improbable that both would run for years and burn out within the same 10 minutes or so, independently. I don't know much about cars, but there must be some sort of surge when a bulb blows or something else must have contributed to my bulbs burning out.

I was confused for a while because one was obviously blown and the with the other it was very difficult to see the break in the filament. Both of the bulbs were clear, not blackened as one poster indicated they might be.

So for anyone with the same problem: check those bulbs. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 10-07-06, 01:58 PM
great. thanks for posting back.